Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: \"When you don\'t believe in God..........

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm quite confident the person has more education and seen more of the world then you, as well as having better SAT scores! I know Sklansky would respect the last qualification.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we'll just have to take your word for it since you don't seem to be able to substantiate anything.

The original statement was still idiotic, BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiousity, why do you feel the need to be so insulting? If you don't like the statement, say why..

I don't think the statement is idiotic at all.. I think there's definitely some truth in it.

FWIW, the person said it to me because I was saying I don't really believe in God, and I'm not really sure that person does either.

I also believe that no one really believes in god. They just tell themselves they do.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God didn't create Satan evil, but Satan rebelled against God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isaiah 45:7 - "I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I the Lord do all these things."

Who is Satan?

Original Sin
Old 07-19-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Isaiah 45:7 - "I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I the Lord do all these things."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I pretty much ignore you boss.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:56 PM

Default When you don\'t believe in God ... you believe in the SATs?

[ QUOTE ]
I remember them because I bet on them. Your high school SAT scores don't matter. But what you could score on them NOW definitely does.

[/ QUOTE ]

David, as someone who has successfully applied logic to poker and other fields in many remarkable and unique ways, I find it hard to believe that you put so much stock in the SAT test.

Personally, I think it is pretty meaningless as an indication of a person's "intelligence", no matter how you define such a term.

At best it is a test of basic grammer and 3rd grade mathematics ...
Old 07-19-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as a nontheist, while I do not subscribe to the concept of a god, I agree that I take the final authority and responsiblity for myself, my life, and all of my actions and their consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]
For many people, I think this can be a very dangerous attitude to have, depending on how it is implemented. Many very bad things happen to people through no fault of their own. They may try to take responsibility for these terrible results by thinking that if they had acted more wisely or made better decisions, then they could have avoided those circumstances. This is not always true and can lead to despair or cause them to change behavior that was otherwise benefitting them.

On the flip side, many very good things happen to people through no fault of their own. They may try to take responsibility for them by thinking that these great results are due to their superior intellect and cunning. It can lead to hubris and reinforce behavior which will harm them in the long run.

I think many people fail to realize that they are not the final authority over what happens in their life. They can partially control their "winrate," but there is still variance.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why I pretty much ignore you boss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that you ignore me because you are unable to refute any of my points with rational arguments. I'm just pointing out how Christian beliefs contradict what the Hebrew bible actually says. In the Hebrew bible, Satan isn't some evil god or demon that acts on his own against God. Those beliefs come from paganism, not the bible. We don't believe in two separate gods, one good and one evil. In the bible, there is only one true God who creates both good and evil.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being a God is a passive activity

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] This is sooo not true.

As God you get to make things. ( Genesis 1:1 )

Drown things you made if they don't work out ( Genesis 7:21 )

And Burn things if they get really sordid ( Genesis 19:24 )

Pasive Smashive, Being God means doing stuff. Bible says so.

You gotto go do some more bible study Piers.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as a nontheist, while I do not subscribe to the concept of a god, I agree that I take the final authority and responsiblity for myself, my life, and all of my actions and their consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]
For many people, I think this can be a very dangerous attitude to have, depending on how it is implemented. Many very bad things happen to people through no fault of their own. They may try to take responsibility for these terrible results by thinking that if they had acted more wisely or made better decisions, then they could have avoided those circumstances. This is not always true and can lead to despair or cause them to change behavior that was otherwise benefitting them.

On the flip side, many very good things happen to people through no fault of their own. They may try to take responsibility for them by thinking that these great results are due to their superior intellect and cunning. It can lead to hubris and reinforce behavior which will harm them in the long run.

I think many people fail to realize that they are not the final authority over what happens in their life. They can partially control their "winrate," but there is still variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. While I certainly cannot speak for anyone else who shares my sense of autonomy, I know that there is a big difference between the things I am responsible for occuring and the things that "happen" to me. I suspect that many nontheists have embedded in their philosophies a sense of the randomness of the universe and incorporate that into their way of dealing with unfortunate things as well as good things that happen. I'm not interested in debating its relative merit, but many theists certainly have a similar mechanism in the "will of god" or "god was on my side."

I think in general, the problem of taking too much responsibity for the good things that happen in one's life is more of a human psychological issue than a philosophical one. We've all seen studies where people who are not very good at something or not very intelligent tend to think the opposite.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being a God is a passive activity

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] This is sooo not true.

As God you get to make things. ( Genesis 1:1 )

Drown things you made if they don't work out ( Genesis 7:21 )

And Burn things if they get really sordid ( Genesis 19:24 )

Pasive Smashive, Being God means doing stuff. Bible says so.

You gotto go do some more bible study Piers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who’s had carpentry lessens at school has made something.

Anyone who’s lit a match has burnt something.

Accidentally drowned a spider that had made a web above my bath last week [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Only gods have entities that worship them as a God.

I suspect most gods don't realise that they are gods, or are incapable of realising anything.

(Ok its possible that your definition of God does not match my definition of a god [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
Old 07-20-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a basically true statement. It doesn't mean each individual thinks he is an eternal, all-wise, all-powerful being. It means that if one rejects the true God, he takes over the position of final authority for himself, effectively performing the role of God for his own life. The only ultimate he recognizes is himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...no.
That's my wife's job.

Seriously though, we aren't all satanists/anarchists just because we don't believe in the toothfairy and other stories.