Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 11:53 AM

Default Re: 15/30 interesting hand

[ QUOTE ]
choppy's point is worth respecting; even with 100s of thousands of hands, you're still only talking about tens of thousands of deals of a given hand in a given position. out of 10,000 hands you'll get any two specific suited like 35 times for example. i think 100+ iterations of a given hand in a given position is pretty good info though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm not suggesting that your results are absolute. I'd be surprised if it was really worth more than 1sb UTG. However, I think we can conclusively see that it's not a losing hand, and that folding it UTG is absurd.

One way to help is to look at similar hands around it. ATs would be the obvious counterpart. I'm not asking you to post any more results, but I do think it's important to point out that even respected writers like Barry T say ridiculous things from time to time and should be questioned. This, of course, all assumes that what Sin City Guy is accurately conveying Barry's statement.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I think we can conclusively see that it's not a losing hand, and that folding it UTG is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think folding AJs UTG is awful, but I don't think PT is going to provide conclusive evidence of this, partially due to the nature of the "UTG" stats it provides. You're not looking at all the times you were UTG, you're looking at the times you were 7 off the button, so the game has to be exactly 10 handed, which is fairly rare since there's almost always someone sitting out or there's a seat open.

For some perspective, here are some of my numbers (I believe my db is around the same size as astro's):

UTG: AQs +$31.33, AJs -$2.53, ATs +$20.35
Old 10-07-2004, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
choppy's point is worth respecting; even with 100s of thousands of hands, you're still only talking about tens of thousands of deals of a given hand in a given position. out of 10,000 hands you'll get any two specific suited like 35 times for example. i think 100+ iterations of a given hand in a given position is pretty good info though.

[/ QUOTE ]

i only get 13/h for AJo, astro, u rock!
Old 10-07-2004, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This, of course, all assumes that what Sin City Guy is accurately conveying Barry's statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had this discussion with Barry a couple of times, and he plays EXTREMELY tight in opening position. He doesn't even play 99, that's how tight he is. Basically, it's AA-TT, AK and AQ. In late positon, he plays MORE hands than most players do. The bulk of a player's long-term profits are from the last three positions, and I think that most of Barry's success comes from outplaying opponents when he's in late position. He values position more than anything else.

In my opinion, he plays too tight in early position, but he's a much better player than I am, he plays much higher limits, and he's a proven long-term winner.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i only get 13/h for AJo, astro, u rock!

[/ QUOTE ]

read more carefully kenny.