Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2004, 07:22 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Me Moron (i.e. betting when you expect to call)

many players will limp with Ax, or Kxs. along with the any 2 suited crowd Jxs, Qxs.

b
Old 01-06-2004, 07:28 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

in this instance, hindsight, it was right. because had you checked it, you very well couldve been bet out of the hand by facing 2 bets. the way you played, it's unlikely someone will reraise behind you so your call is easy.

another hand kind of comes to mind. it was one of clarks where he bet out with mid pair hoping the guy on the left would raise. that thread may have another angle to look at.
but im not sure where it's at.

b
Old 01-06-2004, 07:42 PM

I've bet at flops from the BB with less than middle pair.
Played fine. You picked up more outs on the turn and the river was just fantastic.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:28 PM

I like the way you played it on all streets.

Ni han miss [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 09:46 PM

Default The reference to HPFAP

p. 168, the example in HPFAP is that you hold T9s, and the flop comes A76r (none to your suit), "it is almost mandatory to bet if you are in early position" for the various reasons that Homer pointed out in his responses.

p. 170, says,
"Similar advice applies for a pair (except for small pocket pairs). If you are first, the pot is large, and you have a pair, you usually should bet it even if you knew that you were beat. You are not trying to win it right there. If the pot is big enough and you know that you are going to call anyway, you have to bet it. You do this not just because there is a slight chance that you might win if you bet, but also because betting gets out those hands that will cost you the pot a small percentage of the time when your hand improves. Remember, you were going to call anyway."
Old 01-06-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Re: The reference to HPFAP

Here is some more explanation that Sklansky posted on the hand on RGP:

[ QUOTE ]
It is the KT (as well as QT, JT, K9 etc) rather than the KJ that is critical to get out. (A legitimate oversight in the book that you ironically did not point out.) If you were somehow in a game where they would not fold you would of course not bet. The other point about the play is that its cost is only a fraction of a bet when it fails- virtually nothing when you are merely called by someone who would bet if you check.

[/ QUOTE ]

and

[ QUOTE ]
The advice is right. It is self evident that it assumes two undercards to the ace will fold a bet. Given that, it must be right except possibly in situations
where it is quite likely someone has an ace AND almost certain he will raise with it. Even then it can be at most only a tiny error, disregarding image considerations which help you. On the other side of the coin if there is as
little as a 5% chance you will win immediately, a 30% chance that your bet adds six wins, and a 30% chance that no one will raise, any nitwit can see that the bet is positive EV without doing the precise calculations. As long as two undercards won't call the bet is somewhere between a slight mistake and a big gainer. That's why it is almost mandatory to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the whole post:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D9
Old 01-06-2004, 11:00 PM

Not sure about you having 5 outs. The six is a scare card for the straight draws (and they are out there) and I'm not liking your kicker with your seven. You got lucky to hit your backdoor straight. I don't like the flop bet at all.