Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: My \"Try to play like Doyle Brunson In SS2 on the Party 25 Experiem

[ QUOTE ]
Why is a push better than a min-reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm new to NL myself but to me the surest sign of finding a donk is someone who min-raises ( especially prefolp at micro-limits) a min-raise is not going to change anyone's mind who was thinking of calling the original bet.

All this accomplishes is giving away the strength of your hand while still allowing people to draw against you cheaply...

The only time I ever minraise is on the flop when I want to represent strength in position while drawing to the nuts.. If it hits I have the nuts which many people won't put me on after raising before an obvious draw hit... If it misses
and no one represents a hand.. I can bet at the pot and pick it up a large percentage of the time if no one has a strong hand.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is a push better than a min-reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm new to NL myself but to me the surest sign of finding a donk is someone who min-raises ( especially prefolp at micro-limits) a min-raise is not going to change anyone's mind who was thinking of calling the original bet.

All this accomplishes is giving away the strength of your hand while still allowing people to draw against you cheaply...

The only time I ever minraise is on the flop when I want to represent strength in position while drawing to the nuts.. If it hits I have the nuts which many people won't put me on after raising before an obvious draw hit... If it misses
and no one represents a hand.. I can bet at the pot and pick it up a large percentage of the time if no one has a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes looking back on the hand a push would have been very much better than the min-raise.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:59 AM

What I've learned from my "Try to play like Doyle Brunson Experiment on the Party 25 NL so far"

0. ##insert fabulous advice listed in the posts above.

1. You must answer the question, "Can he lay down a hand?" before trying to play like Doyle Brunson on the Party 25NL against a typical player.

This is completly obvious to the good posters here but I need to emphasize it for my own sake.

To answer this question I look to see if he can fold by checking his Went to Show Down % numbers. Averages seem to be about 20%-25% If it's much above that don't try to bluff.

2. An post-flop aggression factor of 5-9 is probably too dammed high.

You will fall into *every* trap if you're too predicatably aggressive.

This is something I need to fix with my game.... Not sure where I'm being too aggressive.

3. Don't always play like Burnson. You need to use it as *ONE* of your gears. Not your only gear.

4. Even though I'm a terrible player and this may be the worst style for the Party 25NL it can make money thanks to massive stupidity on the part of the other players... // massive variance and too small sample size doesn't hurt ether.

5. Please comment!

derick