Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Quitting Smoking Take 2!

Steve,
I know I am repeating myself verbatum from the last time that you tried to quit but this really helped me quit smokes when I did earlier this year:

I quit about two months ago and every time that I see a cig I want to have one. Actually everytime that I think about them I want to have them. I want to have one right now...

Quitting is hard but smoking is an ACTIVE addiction. In order to smoke you need to buy a pack, get a lighter, put a smoke in your mouth, and light it up. To quit you simply have to not do these things (easier said than done but this helped me)

Something else that helped me A LOT was making the below picture the background on my computer. I stare at this every day and it really helps. Good luck, stay strong.

warning, the below picture is nasty it is a cancerous lung

if you dont want to see it scroll down

its really gross what we do to ourselves...

Lungs are supposed to be pink... with this as your desktop background, the antigay picture where you keep your smokes, the check you made out to the hateful leader, and the support you have from your friends and internet friends here I think that you have as good of a chance of quitting as anyone.

Good luck, your life is more important than this.

-LMM
Old 06-14-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know a few people who have used the patch. They complain that you are buzzing for the first four hours but you can't really control cravings. Since the delivery of nicotine tapers off, after about 12 hours you start freaking out and really needing some nicotine. Supposedly the gum or inhaler are better cause you use it when you need it. This is all second hand though, when I quit I did it cold turkey. It obviously didn't stick, I"m smoking while I write this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the patch better, because it breaks the Craving --> Use --> Feel Better pathway. The gum will not do this, and the inhaler makes you look like you are sucking on a tampon. Bleh.

Nothing completely controls cravings.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:17 AM

I thought you were turning straight at first.

Do you see why?

GL on quitting. It is such a horrible habit. Me and my cousin broke and flushed sooo many cigarettes when we were young. Got my aunt so pissed. Oh the days.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:48 AM

Wow, the Matt in Hell picture is horrible. What a [censored] [censored].
Old 06-14-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have done a few very good things to ensure you will win this battle. You have to do more; you have to do everything possible.

I quit for 4 years now, and the fight is not over.

Learn everything you can about quitting and do everything they say. Here are some of the things I did. But it is not everything just the stuff that worked for me.

1. Keep very busy for the first 2 weeks. Take your mind of the fact you want a smoke.

2. Drink water, lots of it. Very important.

3. Don't drink booze. Weakens your resolve more than you can imagine.

4. Exercise often. You need something to make you happy since smoking can't do it anymore.

5. Avoid activities you associate with smoking. Talking on the phone, using the computer, driving in your car. Sounds impossible to avoid these things but try to limit them for the first few days.

There is tons more you can do, but do it all. Most important thing is if you fail this time try again, and again. I tried hundreds of times before I got this far, and if I start again I plan on quitting again. Don't make that idiot rich however. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

gl Steven

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree strongly about not drinking. People who want to quit smoking always find it really hard to not smoke when they're drinking. It just all goes together so well. (Plus of course drinking impairs your judgment and lowers your inhibitions -- and you're trying to build UP an inhibition!) I've known so many people trying to quit smoking who've told me they're screwed if they take a drink.

That can be one of the extremely hard thing for people trying to quit smoking and drinking -- you're way better off if you take yourself out of the situations where everyone's smoking and drinking. Like your favorite Friday trip to the bar with your buddies, or something. Sucks a lot.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:44 AM

Very funny and interesting way of trying to quit, Steve. Good luck!

And very clever, Milo.

Steve, do something flamingly hetero, like wearing brown shoes all day, if you puff up, too. No fair wearing them with clothes that match!

The active humiliation of seeing them on your feet all day and knowing you dress no better than a heterosexual will be a strong disincentive.

Other suggestions? Wear suspenders and a belt AT THE SAME TIME. Or, wear a V-neck sweater AND a tie.

There are probably more like that, but I'm not qualified to know.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very funny and interesting way of trying to quit, Steve. Good luck!

And very clever, Milo.

Steve, do something flamingly hetero, like wearing brown shoes all day, if you puff up, too. No fair wearing them with clothes that match!

The active humiliation of seeing them on your feet all day and knowing you dress no better than a heterosexual will be a strong disincentive.

Other suggestions? Wear suspenders and a belt AT THE SAME TIME. Or, wear a V-neck sweater AND a tie.

There are probably more like that, but I'm not qualified to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you have never seen a picture of me, to make a dressing hetero comment. LOL

Steve
Old 06-14-2005, 08:30 AM

Stop smoking.

Get some determination. Die before you have another cigarette.

I do a lot of hiking/trekking. A few years ago I was once in a group with two overweight individuals, and we were climbing up this bitch of a hill with heavy loads. I'm in shape and I was finding it tough. Those two were obviously going through something else. One continually sat down and whined the whole way. The other, who was probably less fit, was silent the whole way and just kept going, and passed out at the top. Now thats determination. Get some.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone quit with the patches and how do they make you feel, I tried them about 8 years ago, and the ones I had then made me itch horribly.

Have they got better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I just quit 6 months ago using the patch. I combated the itching by washing the spot where the patch had been really well right after I removed it. Then I used moisturizer on it. The red spot also goes away much faster.

GL
Nick
Old 06-14-2005, 10:12 AM

I think that if you are looking for gimmicks tricks and aids to quit smoking you are going to fail. You just have to suck it up and not smoke. You are going to feel like [censored] for a long time. Just accept it and go about your life not smoking.

Im not just blowing smoke. (pun intended) I quit second try cold turkey after 20 years of a pack a day no gum no patch no sealed envelopes. The first time I really wasnt prepared for how bad I would feel. After about a week I realized how [censored] up it was and I started again. The second time I knew what I was in for so I was ready.

Just quit.