Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Results

Hi Nate...

I'm curious about your check raise to shut out the others (not that you planned it that way, but that's how it worked out)...I can see it as a cleaning up of outs and for value if everyone calls - not likely - but does that commit you to following up with a turn bet here?
Old 02-04-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious about your check raise to shut out the others (not that you planned it that way, but that's how it worked out)...I can see it as a cleaning up of outs and for value if everyone calls - not likely - but does that commit you to following up with a turn bet here?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't commit me to do anything necessarily, but considering that I'd need to call a bet on the turn anyway, I think following up is usually worthwhile. There are a few scenarios in which he might have bet the flop with something like middle pair and would fold if he doesn't improve. Not a lot, mind you, but a few, and I think that probably outweighs the risk of having to put in an extra bet sometimes.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The second limper bet and I raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Nate,
Can you walk me through the thought process here of raise vs call? I actually leaned toward check/call with the idea that:

1. you're more likely to string along the other limpers and if you do make your straight, you're probably very likely to win.
2. if you check/raise and make your straight on the turn, if Villain(s) have a J they're likely going to check/call you to a showdown.

thoughts? I can see the other argument side of this argument taht, if you allow the other limpers to see the turn, and a turn card favors them and you're still drawing, you're forced to continue b/c of the pot size when you don't want to...
Old 02-04-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to check. UTG checked as well, as did the first limper. The second limper bet and I raised. The others folded and the limper called. I eventually made my straight and won the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

nate, do you raise an UTG bet and 2 calls?

or was this a game time adjustment trying to clean up some overcards once UTG checked?
Old 02-04-2005, 04:33 PM

I like how you adjusted your thinking and decided to for a HU pot. It's interesting how checking with the intent of calling, checking with the intent of raising for value, and checking with the intent of raising to shut others out, cleaning up outs and increasing our chances of winning are all viable options, based on the action after our initial flop check.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: KQo flop decision

Check, and call or raise, depending on how many you trap.

PFR bets, both others call, you raise? I don't like it. If the PFR bets, I'm not raising a bet. If the PFR checks, I am raising a bet.

GoT