Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: A reasonably good self-test for Pathological Gambling

I'm in very much the same boat as Grifter on this, so my earlier answer was (obviously) more than a little flippant. Because the test does not distinguish between periods in a person's life, it does not allow for reform and correction of damaging habits. So, lifetime, I'm a 9, and always will be. But since beginning serious work on my poker game, I'm solidly in the 2-3 range (and improving). Does that make me a problem gambler? Probably depends on your definition of the term. But either way, I'm no longer losing money in the process, and my addiction/interest/whatever is now a positive income source and a source of personal satisfaction for me, due to what I have overcome to get to this point.

q/q
Old 10-12-2004, 01:48 AM

One thing to remember about addictions is that there is a high rate of relapse. Be aware of all the warning signs, and set up some system of checks and balances. I'm not suggesting that your poker play means you WILL relapse, I just think it's important to keep in mind that by gambling at all, you are choosing to "kiss the dragon" on a regular basis. It's a risky proposition.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:14 PM

I scored a 2, answered yes to questions #1 and #7.

1) Well I post on these forums pretty much every day, then study poker outside of playing it.

7) My parents don't know, my father and my grandfather had serious Mah-jong gambling addictions so the fact that I'm playing poker probably won't go well with them. However, I tell my gf everything including my upswings and downswings. Among a few close friends I'll hint at how well I'm doing.

However, since my parents have never asked I've never really had to lie. So actually I could answer No to #7.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:04 PM

I scored 2 (#1 and #9) I wonder if you are too quick to dismiss the basic fact that spending time on poker means not spending time on something else -- be it work, family or other interests. I find it hard to believe that most players couldn't be doing more with career or family if they diverted time from poker.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:10 PM

I wouldn't be doing more.

First, I have no "family" at home - I live alone. And, I have as little to do with my family of origin as possible.

Second, the only diversion from career is the time spent browsing these forums from work. Time I used to spend browsing other forums.

For me, it's a hobby. I scored 1 (#1). I don't want to gamble for a living, I don't wish I was playing all the time. I have no problems telling friends and family that I've been playing. I've lost, and let it go. I've won and let it go. But, yeah, I spend a lot of time thinking about it and reading about it. Thus #1.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:27 PM

I scored a 7, yet I know that I am not a pathological gambler because the test is written in a way such that it asks generic questions with no specific time boundaries.

Perhaps my answers will help illustrate my point:

1) Of course I have thought about gambling for two weeks or longer, heck I've been reading the Theory of Poker for the last three weeks!

2) A few years ago, yes I did have that *need*, but then I realized that it was a problem and have gotten over it.

3) Yes, I think everyone gets in the "I'm in a gambling" mood mode every once in a while. The key is to be able to recognize and stop it.

4) No

5) Yes, gambling has been used as an escape. So has playing soccer or video games or ...

6) Yes, though this is just my competitive nature. I once lost a bridge tourney and played the next day because I was bound and determined to win something while I was there.

7) Once, because I knew they would give me endless grief over playing poker. I then realized that I was hiding it and have been completely open and honest with anyone who asks.

8) No, I only gamble with my money.

9) Well... sort of... I'm up on 2+2 when I should be working...

10) No, I only gamble with money I can lose.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:23 PM

No differentiation between poker and any other card game in their survey questions - if I were them I'd like to know if I was dealing with a poker player or a blackjack player.

All these +EV 2+2ers are probably going to skew their results [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2004, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me, the first question is, do I consider playing poker (over the long term) gambling?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you don't consider playing poker in the long run gambling, you are wrong. it most certainly is gambling.

cheers!