Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Preflop decision: ATo

See, and I'm of the opinion that it's close between all 3 choices but that folding is the worst.
1. limp
2. raise
3. fold

[ QUOTE ]
Without looking at any sims this seems like a good spot to limp.

ATo is too much hand to fold in this spot and the main reasons for raising are gone. The equity that you give up pre-flop by not raising in this spot is much smaller than it appears IMO. This leads me to believe that the equity could be easily regained post flop since your opponents are so bad and will be playing in a small pot (magnifying their mistakes).

Yes, it seems like a limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completly agree with this post.

Can you explain why folding is the best option here? You've shown why you disagree with raising, and although I don't agree I think your argument has merit, but why is folding better than limping?
Old 08-06-2004, 06:35 PM

Yeah, folding is terrible. I still put raise ahead of limp though.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain why folding is the best option here? You've shown why you disagree with raising, and although I don't agree I think your argument has merit, but why is folding better than limping?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I don't have a good explaination. I think ATo is one of my "mantra" hands - the mantra being that "it doesn't play well in a multiway pot." I raise it in LP if I think I can get it HU or 3-way against weak players, otherwise I muck it.

The argument for limping (as opposed to folding) is that its a relatively strong hand compared to the trash Nate's opponents are playing and carries its fair share of pre-flop equity against typical hands. But its close - its not like it enjoys a BIG edge in equity against typical hands. Furthermore, some of the equity it has in hot & cold sims is going to be lost when you have to fold the flop because you miss (i.e., when it would have won when a ace comes on the turn or river).

Lastly, Nate is in MP with 5 opponents who have not yet indicated the strength of their hands. Does he really want to play an easily dominated hand like ATo? If one of his opponents happens to wake up with AJ-AK or TT-AA, he's in a world of hurt.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:03 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

folding is by far the worst option. you have one guy that plays almosst any 2 cards limping to you and you're on the button with ATo. why would you ever fold?
Old 08-06-2004, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, Nate is in MP with 5 opponents who have not yet indicated the strength of their hands. Does he really want to play an easily dominated hand like ATo? If one of his opponents happens to wake up with AJ-AK or TT-AA, he's in a world of hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

The chances that they will come in with trash (i.e. 37s) is greater than the chance they will have a premium and dominate hand.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
folding is by far the worst option. you have one guy that plays almosst any 2 cards limping to you and you're on the button with ATo. why would you ever fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd raise 100% of the time in the situation you just described.

But thats not the case here. Nate is in MP, with five players left to act behind him, including two very loose players and semi-loose blinds.

I think its a completely different situation.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and you're on the button with ATo. why would you ever fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, I beleive he is 3 off the button. I do agree that folding is the worst of all options.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:10 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

you're misunderstanding the situation.

there's one limper to him and he's on the button