Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2004, 06:50 AM

Default Also could have QJ

That should swing it to a fold.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Re: ***Results***

[ QUOTE ]
I called her down, and she had K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the turned top two pair and the rivered full house.

I posted this one for several reasons, and I'm probably going to get some criticism for what I'm about to say, but so be it.

Looking to make good laydowns should not be the cornerstone of any winning player's philosophy. However, I do think that they have their place, and they are one of many variables that separate great players from above average players. I have no doubt that Tommy Angelo and Mike L. (and many more great players) add a substantial amount to their bottom line by making these types of laydowns. They add up over the course of time.

I wasted a big bet here by making a crying call on the river, when all of the evidence indicated that I was badly beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent conclusion.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Who is for mucking this AA on the river?

I would fold the turn or call down. To deviate from this normal binary choice would seem to require extraordinary circumstances which I don't see here.

I would fold more vs. a woman.

FWIW, I would call down more with overpair than top pair/kicker. I tend to call down more vs. "limit the field" turn raises. I would almost always call if it is possible for opponent to have top pair (usually aces/weak kicker) and have picked up a flush draw on turn.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:48 PM

Default Re: ***Results***

A laydown that saves you 1BB is just as good as a value bet that earns you 1BB. Theres just a lot less room for error with the laydowns.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:18 PM

Default I Disagree...

Hey Sin,

IMHO, if she coldcalled your raise in EP with KTs, she certainly would have done so with T9s, 98s, A9s, etc. You had no idea how she played; she could have been over-agressive and/or poor-playing for all you knew. You beat a few semi-reasonable holdings, all of which would have bet the river.

I agree completely with your point about the money saved by making laydowns adding up. But, I wouldn't beat myself up over not folding this one. If you had a read on her, maybe. But, since you didn't, I don't think that you call was necessarily poor...

ML4L