Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Sport different than competition!!

what about track (no ball....no defense)??

boxing uses 'judges' too. is this not a sport??
Old 06-17-2004, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Poker a Sport?

[ QUOTE ]
I totally disagree. 'Sport' has nothing to do with whether or not its luck/skill. 'Sport' implies athletics. There is nothing athletic about poker. I don't consider bowling, golf, darts, or any other games that a 50 year old man can still be in his prime to be sports either. They are games....nothing wrong with that, but as a former college athlete who went through the rigors of getting up at 6am to go running, throwing up from being pushed so hard in practice, long road trips during finals, and so on and so on, I find it kinda offensive for those games to be put on the same pedestal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, now here is some solid thinking. There's nothing quite like living in the past. The best thing I have going for me is something I did back in college, so I'm going to try to keep myself up on that elitist pedastal as well. If people try to label a sport something less rigorous than what I did decades ago, then I'm going to act offended and try to milk the situation like a self-pitying, knocked-up girlfriend who seems to think that it's somehow MY fualt that she didn't think I was spongeworthy or adequately virile to spawn that amnionic parasite that incessantly degrades her boyish figure and my daily left nut. That's hypothetically speaking, of course.

I know back in Nam, we used to line up cow chips and hold contests to see who could pick off the most with an M16 from 200 yards away. Ever since I woke up in Siem Reap in '75, I get really pissed off whenever I hear someone claim to be "shooting the [censored]." Some people really ought to think before opening their mouths.

Don't let these filthy pocket rats get you down, jwvdcw. I know people used to like you.

-2kF
Old 06-17-2004, 11:54 PM

I know back in Nam

wow, i take it all back. you look great for your age. what are you? 55? 60?

Old 06-18-2004, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Sport different than competition!!

If a sport is defined by the use of a ball, then Granny is a world-class sports figurine. They don't call her the Big Blue Ball Machine for nothing. At least I don't.

As for the poker. My team of mathletes and I are considered clear favorites for this year's Olympic poker gold.

-2kF
Old 06-18-2004, 12:10 AM

You take WHAT all back? All those things you said to make me feel pretty? My patience is wearing thin.

I lay down and took one for the team last time, but it won't be so easy this year. I don't care what that "judge" says. You want alimony? You're going to have to show me you deserve it.

-2kF
Old 06-18-2004, 12:35 AM

My patience is wearing thin.

that makes a nice match for your hair.

You want alimony?

no, just pay the child support and i will be happy. you think these two are easy to take care of on my social security??

i go through 50 pounds of kimchi and 3 cats a week.
(they have your penises tho, so it reminds me of the good old days)

Old 06-18-2004, 12:49 AM

Sometimes the "defense" required in a sport is just playing better. Like figure skating. Technically there's no defense, but if you want to win you need to do better than the other guy. Regardless, poker is obviously not a sport, but neither is NASCAR. Or Chess. Or pool. Anything that does not guarantee victory to the best "participant" is most certainly NOT a sport.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:58 AM

Worst written article everr!!
Old 06-18-2004, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Worst written article everr!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's much better as the stand-up comedy routine it was intended to be, with proper George Carlin delivery of course.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:14 AM

bridge is an officially recognised olympic sport - it has yet to reach the status of being included in one of the olympic programs - mostly because there is little room for more sports and also issues about the need for drug testing

i play high level competitive bridge - i played a lot of other sports too such as aussie rules footy, hockey (without the ice), water polo - its not possible to play a full game of aussie rules football properly and not shed blood - likewise i never played a game of hockey or water polo without my share of bruises - none the less a decent bridge event is the most taxing sport i've competed in - it requires more stamina, resolve, and skill to succeed at than any of the earlier mentioned sports

i dont give a rats fat one whether you choose to call it a sport or not - before you choose to ridicule the comparison you might give competitive bridge a try

stripsqueez - chickenhawk