Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: \"Dont slowplay a straight\" but I do it anyway

Grunching...

[ QUOTE ]
still, a raise on this flop seems like it would announce to the whole world what I have

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't; you could just have one pair. That is, you could if you would also raise in this spot with AA, KK, AQ, KQ, A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ... are you raising these hands?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now if villian raises this flop instead of slowplays it, can you really put him on a straight right away? He could easily have AT, AK, QT. You have top 2-pair and I can't see not at least calling this, probably re-raising here. By him slowplaying this straight he's giving up money. I think this is the epitome of "dont' slowplay a straight."

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a great point here. This guy slowplayed the strait and missed at least 1 small bet from me. Probably more.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... I think you have to call down here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I did, and I lost. But I didn't feel too bad about it. Had the villain bet the flop, things would have been vastly different and he would have had a lot more of my money. Moral: Don't slowplay the nut strait.

[ QUOTE ]

The bet limit doesn't matter too much unless you're planning to go 4 bets here...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he was a thinking player at a really bad table. If I had boated up, I think I could have gotten him to go to war, and match an all in from me if the rules allowed it.

To get all third level about it, I think he thought he was outplaying me and would have made disasterous mistakes in the right circumstance.

-D
Old 08-15-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are no cards left in the deck to help your hand. Anything that comes off can only hurt you. Raise that sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do we need to protect 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on a
6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flop? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite an apt comparison, as you are nowhere near the nuts. And last I looked there is a 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in all decks.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:20 PM

It's not even a matter of slowplaying here. You have tons of money in the pot and people will chase their 9 or QJ or AQ or Kx or Ax in an attempt to split when in reality they have at most 4 outs to win and at most 3 outs to split.

I'm sure this has all been mentioned before. I think the conclusion is that you need to raise.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:17 AM

Heh, I posted this expecting an asschewing, and that's just what I got [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It's not like me to slowplay, especially a straight, but for some odd reason I coudln't resist this time and I can't figure out why. Eh, whatever. Anyway, turn and river were blanks, won a nice pot, yadda yadda yadda.