Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2004, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Small Stakes Hold \'em; Winning Big with Expert Play: release date? n/m

I don't have it in front of me right now, but doesn't HPFAP open with "We are not english professors, we are poker players" or something like that? I believe the section is called "A Note About the Grammer"
Old 04-30-2004, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Small Stakes Hold \'em; Winning Big with Expert Play: release date? n/m

Yes in "A Note on the English" they say "Neither one of us claim to be professional writers. We are professional poker players." Later they add "So if we end a sentence with a preposition or use a few too many words or even introduce a new subject in a slightly inappropriate place, you can take solace from the fact that you buy lots more books by Hemingway with the money we make you."

This last bit is certainly true. I would reccomend Death in the Afternoon or The Sun Also Rises. For Whom the Bell Tolls is good too, especially if you're into history and the Spanish Civil War.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:02 PM

Hi Andy:

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should submit a manuscript and find out just how much time you spend on this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, we only spend about 20 minutes on most manuscripts submitted.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 05-01-2004, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My writing is far better now than it was before I started, and it is because Al ripped my first few sections apart.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ed,

You are a fine writer. And I'm not saying that because I admire your spelling, grammar, or punctuation. Or because you have exceptional poker skill and knowledge.

It takes a very peculiar kind of talent to sit, read, think about, and then write on any topic with clarity, humor, authority, and confidence. And you, sir, have been doing just that for a good while now.

What's more, you certainly know that. Which may explain this:

MK's literary aspirations.

Only half joking, weren't ya? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

--uuDevil