Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Cold Calling

Here's the thing - the rules for cold-calling do change when a lot of people have cold-called in front of you.

So, if someone raised and 4 people cold-called in front of me, I would call on the button with JTs and T9s.

However, coldcalling A7s is really, really bad. Think about it. You are relying exclusively on your flush draw. I can almost guarantee you that you are dominated by a better ace. Suited ace-rag should NEVER, EVER be played for more than one bet.

I don't doubt that you are a winning player - you do post on this forum, after all. But you would win a lot more if you limited your coldcalls to extreme situations, or just stopped completely. I guess my main point is that you should follow the rule first - don't coldcall - and then after a while you can start looking for exceptions.

Will
Old 03-26-2004, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, coldcalling A7s is really, really bad. Think about it. You are relying exclusively on your flush draw. I can almost guarantee you that you are dominated by a better ace. Suited ace-rag should NEVER, EVER be played for more than one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I hate coldcalling there are a lot of players here that will disagree with this statement.

Thread about calling with A5s
Old 03-26-2004, 05:24 PM

that's a good link nottom. thanks.

i have indeed been limiting my cold-calls because i have had some others that i found that were crap.....i have found myself ditching or 3-betting cold-call situations more and more lately thanks to the original posting of this thread.

but i do think that calling A5s on the button if almost everyone is in for 3-bets is a no-brainer....calling 2-bets with it with fewer players than 'everyone' is subject to table-texture and maybe even your own personal taste.

i had a couple of situations yesterday where i know i would have stayed in 3 weeks ago with Axs...but i looked at position and ditched it instead....that is thanks to you guys....so i'm getting more selective and bceoming a more solid player thanks to you guys.