Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2004, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Axo and good players.

[ QUOTE ]
Axo... no.
I can't see any reason to play this easily dominated hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do... aka 3 betting you the next time you try to steal my blinds. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Even raising for value after flopping a 4-flush is not a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not raising your flush draws for value would be a bad idea.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:05 AM

A couple months ago I experimented in the .5/1.00 tables by playing A9o A8o and A7o and didn't fair too badly with them. However, to do so, you must be very very good postflop and be willing to give up your hand even if an A flops.
In the long run, I doubt these hands will win with enough regularity to make it profitable. If anything, adding in these marginal hands in your arsenal will increase your variance. Sometimes you'll have large positive swings, but the long run will come back to bite you and give you swings in the negative end.

About the SB completion thing.
I dump Axo in the SB. But sometimes if I'm feeling frisky I'll complete with A5o or A4o, but never A6o. Can you tell me why?
Old 05-16-2004, 06:30 AM

Default Re: this brings up something i have been mulling over

The reason I personaly have been opening Ax with a raise in late position lately is this; I've been playing sit and gos to get a change of pace and improve my short handed game. When the game gets down to 3 players, A8o is a very decent hand. If you raise in LP/button that is exactly what you have, a 3 way hand.

The cavecat is that I dont have a thousand hands which prove a profit yet, just a small sample. But so far it looks good.

k
Old 05-16-2004, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I personaly have been opening Ax with a raise in late position lately is this; I've been playing sit and gos to get a change of pace and improve my short handed game. When the game gets down to 3 players, A8o is a very decent hand. If you raise in LP/button that is exactly what you have, a 3 way hand.

The cavecat is that I dont have a thousand hands which prove a profit yet, just a small sample. But so far it looks good.

k

[/ QUOTE ]

You are more than likley talking about NL. We are talking limit.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:00 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Reread my response and see where i said folding top pair is automatic. Part of playing it postflop is being able to read when you're likely to be beat and release it. Many times i wont be folding this for just 1 bet on the flop.

Sorry it isnt a black and white answer as to how to automatically play it postflop. It's not.

b
Old 05-16-2004, 01:17 PM

I completely agree. Anyone can play exactly by the book and do okay here. But if you don't question why certain plays are made, then you can't improve your play, imo.

Yeah, you can get re-raised. Sometimes the blinds, sometimes the guy after you. However... the blinds are going to act before you on all subsequent rounds. So if they do re-raise you pre-flop, you'll be able to see how the flop comes out, and how everyone reacts first. The only re-raise I really fear with this hand from this position is the button, and you only make this play if you're the CO or the button anyway. So it *could* happen, but in practice, it likely won't often.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:25 PM

I admit it doesn't happen very often at all. But the raise does give you a shot at it, which you otherwise might not have. It's not the primary reason, by any means. I merely mention it as an extra benefit of having raised it pre-flop.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:06 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

But some tables/blinds it is easier to 'steal' by limping in since they will call a raise anyways, and stealing on the flop when checked to. Of course, this is against players who will call a raise the great percentage of the time.

b
Old 05-16-2004, 03:51 PM

I agree, I'm not a big fan of Axo either.

Answer: You can't make a straight with A6. Do I win a prize? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]