Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Do I just need to accept I am not very good?

I just wanted to jump in here and agree with Vienna. I have had some similar problems(although I don't lose my entire bankroll)going from tournaments to ring games. So I decided why throw my money away right now? Build up a nice roll playing tournies if that is what you are good at. Then when it is a substantial roll, take just enough for the table you want to play ring games at (definitley play limit), and if you lose it, go play some tournies and build it back up. if you are just continuously playing in one session losing until your bankroll is gone and you have to redeposit, then that is a definite sign of tilt. I did that one time, then I learned my lesson. Play to your strengths, determine what kind of br you want to have for tournaments, and when you go over that take the residuals to a low limit table, and see how it goes. if you lose its not that big of a deal, if you double it than keep playing. My point is simply, don't waste your whole br on a losing game if you know you can be winning somewhere else. Best of luck.

PC
Old 05-11-2004, 11:56 AM

Rob,

I agree with most of the posts here, that there is in fact a learning curve to becoming a good player at any kind of table, and any poker game, however there is one concept that I think has been omitted that you might consider:

In PL & NL Poker, Bob Ciaffone points out that there are championship calibre tournament players that are frankly lousy on a ring table. Likewise there are top professional poker players that go to the tournaments solely to play the side games, and never enter a tournament. And to some extent he names names as to who he is talking about. He indicates that the poker player who can play well at the top levels in both the tournaments and the side games is the rare exception.

I am a case in point. (not of a pro, but of the same concept). I do reasonably well at tournament and sng games. I do not at ring games, so I primarily stay away from them. Once in a while, I do go back to ring at a reasonable level, just to see if my poker has improved enough to not get my butt kicked this time. Someday maybe it will happen, but I see nothing wrong with simply saying "I'm a tournament poker player."

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2004, 05:12 PM

if you want to learn to play NL, then read the PL/NL forums and post hands where you lose your stack. also, you probably play way too loose. as an exercise, try never calling a raise preflop. ever. either reraise, or fold. see what that does for your game.

tournaments have little or nothing to do with most big bet cash games, particularly when the stacks are deeper. most tournament players are total ring game fish.

--turnipmonster
Old 05-12-2004, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have really lost thousands of dollars playing the micro-limits then you have a real problem with your play. Spend the $55 it costs to get pokertracker and take a hard look at the hands you are winning and losing with, and especially at the number of hands you are playing. I would bet you are voluntarily putting much more money in the pot than you think. Use $55 for poker tracker, you will reap untold wealth from this tiny investment. AL

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I have been donating thousands of dollars at the ring game tables. I lose, go back to the books to reread, go to poker tracker to analyze my hands, come to this forum to read posts, deposit more money, then lose,lose,lose. I move down from $0.50-1 tables to $0.10-0.50 tables, to $0.02-0.04- lose,lose,lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Al, maybe he's not able to analyze the stats properly.

Rob you've been given great advice in some of the responses, so I'm not going to "rinse and repeat". I will say this though. The books that you have mentioned generally apply to limit and not NL (TOP and HEFAP).

I would suggest that you take the advice to post specific hands, take up the offer to have a group of hands reviewed, and try and keep your chin up! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The fact that you are willing to put in the time and energy to become better says something about you. Good luck, and welcome to the forum....stick around, you won't be disappointed.

Husker
Old 05-17-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Update

Good news!! I only fed $100 into my online poker accounts this past week. If I would have stayed away from ring games I wouldn't have had to feed in any money; actually would have been up a few hundred. Many of you have pointed out that a lot of times, tournament players are poor ring game players. I think I will avoid ring games for a while until my skills improve. My reasoning for wanting to play ring games is- I wanted to build a bankroll in the ring games to fund registration into bigger tournaments; when in fact the opposite is occuring- I am funding my ring game play with tournament wins. I still have a hard time swallowing the fact that I was even getting schooled by a bunch of old ladies in the $0.05-0.10 ring games, lol.
My highlight was yesterday- I won a NL Omaha Tournament at Poker Stars. It was only a $3 buy-in, with 260 players; but a win none the less; only won $72, most of you better players win that much in 10 mins at your ring games. My realistic expectations are not to be winning large chunks of cash at this point, I would be happy if I could be just breaking even week to week as I gain experience. Thank again