Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Re: From the pages of HPFAP

Yes I have it now.
Quoted as UTG raise and 6 callers.

The idea being, you can bet with a favorable flop and expect UTG to raise "as your partner" in pushing people out of an already large pot...rather than raising preflop and coming out betting and everyone having the correct odds (with 6 callers to UTG's PF raise) to call your bet.

i.e. you don't limit the field at all by raising out of the BB with the QQ.

Needless to say, and as this was mentioned previously, many of the HPFAP applies to mid limits and above...trying to push people out in low limit games is pretty moot IMO.

But it seemed to work well for you this time! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2004, 04:36 PM

Default work it a different way...

[ QUOTE ]

If an opponent is drawing to a 5-outer, they need 8.4:1 pot odds. They're getting 7.5:1. So, at the cost of all that pre-flop equity you're giving up by not 3-betting with QQ, you are making an opponent make only a small mistake on the flop.

Let's say MP2 cold-calls on the flop. Then, any player behind him is getting 8.5:1 pot odds to call drawing to a 5-outer. Now, he's not making a mistake to call.

So, what was the purpose of this play again?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we can agree that most 2/4 party players dont take pot odds into account any more that "its a big pot, i want to win it". As you said Dynasty any caller is getting 7.5-1 on an 8.5-1 prop, with any amount of action after it his implied odds should more than make up for the descrepancy. So if they call then they are playing correctly (on the flop at least). There is a group of party players who will call one bet on the flop with almost any piece of it but will fold to two bets. I think what our friend is doing is trying to make these players incorrectly fold for two bets when they should be staying in even with as little as a gutshot- that's what i read into his play.

do i think it makes up for the equity lost not three betting the best hand preflop- probably not.