Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Antonio\'s bad attitude

He seems to be aware that his displays are a little over the top. In the profile of him in Cardplayer he talks about wanting to be thought of as a "classy refined player"

http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeat...p;art_id=13905

"At dinner, he showed his humility and explained that he had learned so much in his short time of playing poker. What he had learned was how to behave in a tasteful manner. He told us stories about winning hands and cheering for himself in a way he wished he could forget. He remembered playing with the classy Phil Ivey, and winning a pot and behaving in an embarrassing manner. T.J. Cloutier took him aside and told him that he was behaving inappropriately. When a champion like T.J. tells a kid he has behaved badly, it is memorable. Antonio decided then that he always wanted to be thought of as a classy, refined poker player."

Not sure he's quite there yet (though I may just be jealous of his succcess [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])

Old 04-30-2004, 10:21 AM

I all fairness to the guy,

While his behavior did annoy me (especially the Poker Wave), I really have to ask myself exactly how I'd comport myself if I was winning a million+ for the first time.

I suspect that I'd have an excess of exhuberance, and probably not enough self-control to keep from displaying some of the inappropriate expressions. I mean, winning $1.4mil really is a big deal (or it would be to me).

And you can bet your bottom dollar that absolutely every example of someone acting like this is going to be shown, because this is television, and that's the sort of thing that the directors figure will keep people watching. And they're probably right.

I think the real question is whether, after the novelty of winning a WPT table wears off, he learns more appropriate behaviors.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:41 PM

what is wrong with sitting there and thinking about that??
The hand you were talking about was on a different call and he paused like 6 seconds to make the raise...Plus you can tell he was very nervous in the first place since his hands were shaking most of the time he was there!!! IMO i would since Antonio was obvious getting pissed at him kept doing whatever it was to keep annoying him to try and put him on tilt....at that point in the tourney he was on a losing streak and what better way to get him out [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Re: notice how every raise was to 69,000

I agree that he was completely obnoxoius. My girlfriend, who knows nothing about poker, was disgusted by his behavior....kept calling him a pompous a-hole.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is great for the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm tired of this bullshit attitude, Antonio pisses me off and I don't care how many stupid amateurs like him.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While his behavior did annoy me (especially the Poker Wave), I really have to ask myself exactly how I'd comport myself if I was winning a million+ for the first time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bullshit answer too.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:11 PM

Ok, so how did you act when you won your first million dollar tournament?
Old 04-30-2004, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is great for the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm tired of this bullshit attitude, Antonio pisses me off and I don't care how many stupid amateurs like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say I liked him, I just said he was great for the game. There's a reason why there's a poker explosion right now and not a chess explosion. He might piss me off a little too, if I was playing at his table, but part of winning poker is not letting a guy like that get under your skin.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you really feel?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:41 AM

he acted the same in the WPT tourney he DIDN't win b4, and right from the beginning so again, the "First time winning a million" means nada...
He's an embarrassment...