Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Easy-to-read answers

[ QUOTE ]

2. Same question as above only this time you hold the AQs. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

3-bet (with AQ offsuit, too) if he will raise with KQ and AJ offsuit. This makes it 2-1 in favor of you having him dominated, rather than the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this correct? The only hands you dominate are AJ and KQ. You are behind every pair, and way behind AA, KK, QQ, and AK. You have no pot odds to try to flop a flushdraw.

[ QUOTE ]
5. Tight game with one loose cannon. It seems players on LC's left are striving to isolate him whenever they get the chance. Loose cannon open raises in EP. Next player, a tightish smart opponent, 3-bets. Folded around to you in LP holding 99. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

Cap it. 99 3-handed with position against likely subpar hands? I like my chances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure you are against a sub-par hand. A "tightish, smart" player will not be isolating with crap. This is at best close, and could be very, very wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
6. Average game. Tight player raises in EP and gets one coldcall in MP. Folded to you on the Button holding KQs. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

Since someone has cold-called in front of me, I cold-call, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big mistake. You are dominated by all the hands the tight player could have, and even worse, someone else decided to take him on. If MP has any understanding of how EP plays, you will need more than a single pair to win most of the time here. Additionally, you don't have the odds to try to flop a flush or straightdraw.

[ QUOTE ]
15. Juicy loose/aggressive game. Wild EP player open raises and gets two coldcallers and a reraise in MP. As one of the LP players tosses in his cards, a Queen is exposed face up for all to see. You are on the Button holding QQ. Your move? sidenote: you're playing at Bellagio where there is a 5-bet cap.

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

A better player may be able to find the fold here, but I say screw it and 4-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be that better player and fold.

-Diplomat
Old 02-07-2004, 01:56 PM

I agree with all you said. . . one of my friends was in disagreement with the 99 one, saying it was a call, but I agree with you. I think there are much better opportunities to put 3 bets in, and I hate coldcalling 2 let alone 3. . .
Old 02-07-2004, 02:02 PM

Regarding the AQs hand, what I meant was it's 2-1 in favor of the raiser having AJ or KQ rather than AK. If he has JJ-99, you should be able to win if either an ace, king or queen flops. If not, you have position and you lose the minimum.

You're right about the 99 vs. isolation 3-bet hand. Folding may be prudent. Still, if the loose cannon is literally raising with any two, I can 4-bet here.

I don't think the KQs hand is as clear-cut as you make it out to be, and I play plenty tight against raises. Certainly there is the danger of being dominated, but we should be good enough to lay down a hand when it's clear what the raiser has. It probably depends on whether the blinds are coming in or not. If there are multiple cold-callers, not just one, I call. If it's going to be just the three of you, yeah, folding may be better.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Mid-High Stakes Preflop Questionaire!

Do you mean shut out additional players or keep it at 5? Wild players don't raise and then fold for 2 more. I think they are much more likely to throw in a gratuitous cap because that's what wild players do. I think a showdown here is almost guaranteed before the flop no matter what. . .
Old 02-07-2004, 05:54 PM

I'm not too computer savvy. How did you smarty pants's put your answers in between my questions? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Pipedream
Old 02-07-2004, 05:57 PM

Actually, the 99 hand against the loose cannon and tightish isolator is one of the closest decisions of all the questions given.

Pipedream
Old 02-07-2004, 06:12 PM

Highlight the post you are replying to. Then hit control-c. Put the cursor in the reply area, and hit control-v. . .
Old 02-07-2004, 06:37 PM

1. Average game. Utg opens for a raise. He's a good player with reasonable EP open raising standards: AA-99,AK,AQ,AJ,KQ. It gets folded to you in MP and you find yourself holding TT. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

I would call this and check the flop no matter what comes.

3. Loose/passive game. Two weak players limp in from EP. Folded to you in the CO holding 97s. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) raise

Fold because there is a gap.

4. Same question as above only this time you hold QTo. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) raise

Fold, this hand sucks.

5. Tight game with one loose cannon. It seems players on LC's left are striving to isolate him whenever they get the chance. Loose cannon open raises in EP. Next player, a tightish smart opponent, 3-bets. Folded around to you in LP holding 99. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

I most likely won't hit the set but if i do it will pay off huge.

6. Average game. Tight player raises in EP and gets one coldcall in MP. Folded to you on the Button holding KQs. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

Always see the flop with these cards.

7. Very loose uber aggressive game with a couple drunks. Most pots contended 4-6 ways for 3 bets, capped 50% of the time. You hold KJs utg. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) raise

Always see the flop no matter what is bet.

8. Same game as above. A raise and reraise by two wild EP players and two MP callers. You find yourself in the CO holding 99. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise/cap

9. Average game. Tight player raises utg(large pair,big ace). Folded around to you in the BB. You hold AJs. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

If an A falls he'll have to show me the better kicker.

10. Same question as above only this time you hold 88. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

Bet the flop if no A or K's fall

11. Loose game with moderate aggression. Two poor players on your immediate right have been battling it out all night, raising each other at every opportunity. It gets folded to the first of the two PP's in the CO and he raises. The other PP on the Button 3-bets. You're in the SB holding ATs. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise/cap

If I hit an A I will play cautiously.

12. Same question as above only this time you hold 66. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise/cap

I almost always see the flop with pairs just because of the set possibility.

13. Tight/tough game. You're desperately waiting to get a seat in another but are grinding it out here for now. Tight old man(TOM) open raises in EP. The player next to him, who surely knows how tight the TOM is, makes it 3 bets. Folded around to you in LP holding AKs. Your move? Sidenote: you're playing at Bellagio where there is a 5-bet cap.

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

Then check/call the flop no matter what hits to trap them.

14. Reasonably good game. Folded around to the Button who makes the almost manditory steal-raise. You're in the SB holding 54s and can see that the BB is waiting to fold. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

See the flop on that one.

15. Juicy loose/aggressive game. Wild EP player open raises and gets two coldcallers and a reraise in MP. As one of the LP players tosses in his cards, a Queen is exposed face up for all to see. You are on the Button holding QQ. Your move? sidenote: you're playing at Bellagio where there is a 5-bet cap.

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

Probably wasn't going to hit the set anyways so now I hope my Q's hold up.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:15 PM

I agree, but only because you can put the tightish raiser on more pairs(possibly as weak as 7's) and more ace-high hands (possibly as weak as AT and A9s), as well as a few king and queen high hands (KQ, KJ, QJ).

Even then though it's still very close. It really depends what types of hands this person will isolate with. If they tend to isolate with pairs rather than ace-high hands, I think it's closer to a fold.

In any case though, you are going to be playing your hand very delicately unless you flop a nine. And I'd hate to call three cold, have the flop come Jxx, and have to make several difficult decisions. Quite simply, I'm not nearly good enough to play this hand for a profit.

-Diplomat
Old 02-07-2004, 07:32 PM

Default My decisions

[ QUOTE ]
There's been a fair amount of posting lately regarding preflop play. I thought it would be a good idea to create a questionaire with a series of scenarios regarding preflop situations. Feel free to take part in this and compare your answers to those of posters whos opinions you most highly regard. No need for explanations to answers, just simple A/B/C answers will suffice. Assume the game to be around the 20-40 level with 10 players seated and a 4-bet cap(unless otherwise stated). Ok, here we go!

1. Average game. Utg opens for a raise. He's a good player with reasonable EP open raising standards: AA-99,AK,AQ,AJ,KQ. It gets folded to you in MP and you find yourself holding TT. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

FOLD

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

FOLD

3. Loose/passive game. Two weak players limp in from EP. Folded to you in the CO holding 97s. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) raise

CALL

4. Same question as above only this time you hold QTo. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) raise

FOLD

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

RERAISE - close decision

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

FOLD

7. Very loose uber aggressive game with a couple drunks. Most pots contended 4-6 ways for 3 bets, capped 50% of the time. You hold KJs utg. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) raise

FOLD

8. Same game as above. A raise and reraise by two wild EP players and two MP callers. You find yourself in the CO holding 99. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise/cap

FOLD - close decision

9. Average game. Tight player raises utg(large pair,big ace). Folded around to you in the BB. You hold AJs. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

FOLD

10. Same question as above only this time you hold 88. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

FOLD

11. Loose game with moderate aggression. Two poor players on your immediate right have been battling it out all night, raising each other at every opportunity. It gets folded to the first of the two PP's in the CO and he raises. The other PP on the Button 3-bets. You're in the SB holding ATs. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise/cap

FOLD

12. Same question as above only this time you hold 66. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise/cap

FOLD

13. Tight/tough game. You're desperately waiting to get a seat in another but are grinding it out here for now. Tight old man(TOM) open raises in EP. The player next to him, who surely knows how tight the TOM is, makes it 3 bets. Folded around to you in LP holding AKs. Your move? Sidenote: you're playing at Bellagio where there is a 5-bet cap.

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

FOLD

14. Reasonably good game. Folded around to the Button who makes the almost manditory steal-raise. You're in the SB holding 54s and can see that the BB is waiting to fold. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

FOLD

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

FOLD

Well, I hope you enjoyed filling out the questionaire. I'm sure there will be some discussion on a few of the trickier hands but I think most are pretty straightforward. Thanks for your time.

Pipedream

[/ QUOTE ]