Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2003, 04:57 PM

Default Re: AA hand, missed bets?

Mason played it? I don't care if God played it. In a 4/8 game the river check is just fcuking horrendous.

BTW congratulations on acting like a dick, you did it real well. If this is an example of your contribution the board is much better of without you.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:11 PM

BTW looking at Dynasty's post of the article in question (I don't have the book) it looks like you completely butchered "posting Mason's play".

In 'your' hand it was the PF Raiser who CR'd the Turn. (who *very* likely has AK, and if he has KK it's the practical nuts, and he would have capped the turn)
In Mason's it was the Small Blind who CR'd the Turn. (who could have *anything* including Mason's description of him having a (small) set)

If you don't get the difference between why it is much more correct to bet the river (and 3 bet the turn) in the first spot than the second you really need to have a think...

If you're going to post "Mason's play" at least get it right. Jeez...
Old 08-05-2003, 02:49 AM

The hand in my book is a little different from this one. In the book, when I bet the turn the player behind me calls. In your example, he's doesn't seem to be around. If that's the case, it probably becomes wrong to reraise.

MM
Old 08-05-2003, 02:54 AM

Hi John:

The concept is that once a pot gets very big you need to be concerned about winning it and that should dictate your strategy. By checking the flop you should be able to get a raise in on the turn and thus stop someone who might stick around with a hand like one pair from drawing out on you. Given the size of the pot they'll call for one bet on all street anyway. So by playing the hand in this strange way, you might increase your chances of winning.

This idea is addressed in the loose game section of HPFAP.

Best wishes,
mason
Old 08-05-2003, 02:57 AM

Hi John:

Would you rather they correctly pay 1 bet to try and win 16, or pay NO bets to try and win 15?

You would certainly be correct if the flop was the last round for betting (or perhaps you only have enough for one small bet). But with two other rounds to come and a very large pot, a very counter-intuitive play might become a better strategy.

Best wishes,
mason
Old 08-05-2003, 02:59 AM

Can't he also beat you by making two pair?

MM
Old 08-05-2003, 03:03 AM

Hi Ulysses:

they would recommend betting the flop w/ just about anything, much less Aces, to maximize your chances of taking down the pot.

If you feel that some players would fold a pair or perhaps a hand like a gutshot, then you should bet. But in loose games that feature players that play too many hands and go too far with their hands the opposite is usually the case.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 08-05-2003, 03:06 AM

Hilarious joke. It had me laughing all the way to the rail.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:08 AM

Hi Dynasty:

I really would appreciate it if in the future you don't produce whole essays from our books. Yes I know that we do it on occasion, but it is important for us to keep our copyrighted material out of the oublic domain. If this was done here on a regular basis, it would only be a small leap for others to produce our material on other sites, and then we would have real problems.

Thanks and best wishes,
mason
Old 08-05-2003, 03:12 AM

Hi JTG51:

Just because you get roasted doesn't mean the play is wrong. In poker coming up with correct reasons for why you follow some particular strategy is what's important. This is especially trie in a game as counter-intuitive as limit hold 'em.

best wishes,
mason