3 1 0.65%
4 3 1.95%
2 4 2.60%
1 5 3.25%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Marginal Hands from EP

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you that these hands can become a major problem because of the tendency to overplay them form EP or MP and because people tend to call a single flop bet with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

In multiway pots, 66- is a set draw (which won't usually have odds to call the flop). In shorthanded pots, you had no business playing those hands from EP unless the hand in question is an aberration. So the only way autofolding if you don't make your set can be a leak is if playing the hands in the first place is also a leak.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many instances (or total hands played) would I need for this to be considered meaningful. I have 2 different time frames I use (i.e. all of my data and data from a specific date until now to represent "pre-tilt bender" and "post-tilt bender").

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not exactly sure..but often the actual explanation is something closer to:

i've run poorly with hand XYo or pocket pair ZZ combined with some poor play --- and the result is that hand XYo or ZZ is my biggest loser!

for any individual hand, such as ATo, you'll need hundreds of instances (maybe thousands) of it to determine, statistically, whether ATo is being misplayed or not. Now, if you're looking at it by position and you have 100 instances of ATo, then you're looking at about 10 instances for each seat which is nothing.

however, sometimes the numbers can point you in the right direction. for example if AA was losing money after 50 occurrances than its probably not a run of bad luck.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:17 PM

KTo bites bawls
Old 12-10-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you that these hands can become a major problem because of the tendency to overplay them form EP or MP and because people tend to call a single flop bet with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

In multiway pots, 66- is a set draw (which won't usually have odds to call the flop). In shorthanded pots, you had no business playing those hands from EP unless the hand in question is an aberration. So the only way autofolding if you don't make your set can be a leak is if playing the hands in the first place is also a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my point. Unless you are on the very rare loose passive table that gets a little more aggressive after the flop, you don't usually get the odds you need to both hit your set and overcome the times you put a ton of money into the pot when you do and then get outdrawn. I've been leaking with 22-55 no matter where I play them even though I tend to not play them except from late position when there was 3-4 limpers before me. The runs very counter to the advice that used to be given here to play them liberally from everywhere on loose tables.