Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: BoxTree

[ QUOTE ]
I also think if we're gonna have rampant insta-banning b/c that is what Mat says he wants (although I have to think we're misinterpreting this to some degree) the bannee should be told upfront, why, and for how long.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I ban someone it my intention that they are banned not suspended. Thus explaining is not really needed. However there are times where the user may ask for a second chance and be unbanned. This does not change the initial intention of it being a permenant ban.

I understand that many of you have adopted a different policy of temporary bans where you then go back on your own accord and unban the user without them contacting you or Mat. I have not.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I ban someone it my intention that they are banned not suspended.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you think someone should be banned, other people don't...you win because you got there first and your action is more aggressive? GIVE ME A FVUCKING BREAK!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I ban someone it my intention that they are banned not suspended.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you think someone should be banned, other people don't...you win because you got there first and your action is more aggressive? GIVE ME A FVUCKING BREAK!

[/ QUOTE ]

See this is why you are not a good moderator as it is now clear you lack the ability to recognize policy when it conflicts with your own desires.

Mat has already stated what is to occur when there is a disagreement and dynasty recently quoted it for you in this very thread.

Perhaps all of this shouldn't be suprise as your position of Mod was initiated by you using another Mod's account to once again inact your judgement over established policy.

While some or perhaps all here disagree with how I moderate I would once again like to point out that I am doing what I said I would and I have never once used my powers to overrule another moderator nor strayed beyond the OOT.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

See this is why you are not a good moderator as it is now clear you lack the ability to recognize policy when it conflicts with your own desires.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with [censored].

Evan has been remarkably immature in discussing moderation issues lately. This is the second time he's resorted to swearing (fvcking) at a moderator when he doesn't like a decision.

Expecting a moderator to discuss things in a civil manner and respect another's decision is a very low standard. And, Evan is even able to obtain that.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:40 AM

Also it seems to have gotten lost that he wasn't banned randomly but rather for intentionally bypassing the filter. That is he went out of his was to insert code into a word that he knew would be filtered so he could force everyone who read his reply to see the word he chose to use. This is not in anyway a case of him not knowing what is going on or me acting unfairly.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:53 AM

Then it seems you are misunderstanding Mat, because he has made it clear numerous times that bans of real users (i.e. not spammers) are meant to be temporary suspensions.

If you are only going to ban people when you see it as a permanent banning, I think you need to do a lot less of them. When a respected strategy poster (or 2+2 member at large) bypasses the profanity filter once, or does something else not allowed on one occasion, banning that poster with the intention of doing so indefinitely is way too harsh a penalty and will result in a long term lowering in the quality of 2+2, IMO.

Often, if it's a long standing member of the 2+2 community, a simple warning will suffice to ensure the offending action doesn't occur again. Let's not turn this place into a police state.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think from this point forward "OOT" should always be reffered to as "the OOT"
Old 10-13-2005, 10:26 AM

There is an important distinction here for me. Posters who goof off in OOT, but are solid and valuable posters in other forums (which do represent the bulk of our traffic) should be treated differently then people who have made OOT their home. They should either be warned prior to a ban, suspended with notification, or at the very least given more consideration in the event that they really cross the line.

On the other hand, the moderators really do need to work together and unresolved disputes between you guys which occur privately or on this forum should be brought to my attention via pm.

In other words, don't overturn another moderator's decision without getting consent from that mod first. If that yields no results, contact me. If it's an emergency, call me at 702-547-1324 or 702-353-8844.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...as your position of Mod was initiated by you using another Mod's account to once again inact your judgement over established policy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was planning on staying out of this one, until this.

2p2 posters themselves helped convince Mat to make Evan a mod. You are totally taking this out of context. Furthermore, I think that if you really think about it, you can understand Evan's reaction, if not so much to this banning that to jason_t's, who I will vouch for as well as a poster who adds very important substantive value to forums Evan mods. If someone banned good ML posters b/c of some bulls**t they said in OOT, then I would probably have a similar reaction.

That being said, I think there is room for more conciously diplomatic behavior all around here.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the clarification Mat. All of that seems very reasonable.