Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Whatcha think of this?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is better to check-call the flop, and checkraise the turn. Betting out just gets you raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

This flop didn't hit many hands. Not taking the initiative here is a mistake.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats precisely my point. The pot missed most hands, so by c-c the flop and c-r the turn, you get the best of both worlds. If a late position villain is aggro and is going to bet it despite having totally missed, your c-r on the turn may win you with pot. If he wants to be passive, that's fine also, since you'll happily take the freecard. On the other hand, if you bet out, and he raises (which many villains will, including raising on draws), your only choice is to three-bet and lead the turn and possibly a blank river (expensive and LAGish), or to check call the turn, and check fold the river UI. Betting this flop won't win it very often. As you yourself indicated in an earlier post, this is a draw heavy board, so part of the way to win it is to show aggression on 4th street, and bet the river no matter what (assuming you're HU).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree if there was a preflop raiser. But there wasn't. Getting 3 folds here isn't that uncommon.

Krishan - 70
Old 10-03-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting 3 folds here isn't that uncommon.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
This is about as draw heavy a board as you can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

These posts, both by you, are totally inconsistent with each other.

Look at it this way, if any villain has a T or K, the only way to win is for you to spike your draw. Betting out, however, will get you raised, so you're drawing in the most expensive way possible, with no semibluff opportunitites. Worse yet, you yourself can get semibluffed, potentially by worse draws.

Now if no villain has a T or K (and I include here the possibility that all villains are drawing), you can win in two ways if you take my line. Either you can spike your draw, or you can show aggression on the turn and fold out the complete bluffers, or you can continuation bet the river and beat out the other busted draws (both busted draws that beat you, or busted draws that will bet the river if checked to).

Later street agression here smells like a legitimate T, particularly when followed up with a river autobet HU.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

These posts, both by you, are totally inconsistent with each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, it just looks that way on the surface. What I mean is if noone has one of the 5 cards that match the board (quite common) and noone has a good draw, you will be able to pick up the pot on the flop. Sometimes you'll pick up the pot on the turn when a gutshot calls on the flop. The fold equity in these two situations in combination with your equity from the flush draw makes leading the flop the best way to play it.

Krishan - 71
Old 10-03-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The pot missed most hands, so by c-c the flop and c-r the turn, you get the best of both worlds.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think the flop will get bet? And what makes you think a draw will bet again on the turn after getting called on a paired board on the flop? If he does bet, I imagine it's more likely that he has a piece rather than a draw.

Krishan - 72