Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: KK goes up against a nasty board- what\'s my line?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell would we want a showdown when we are dead? In these spots raising the turn is much better if a safe card hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waiting for the turn to raise is a mistake. Once hero calls the flop, what hands would he expect villan to bet turn with? Maybe QQ or JJ, but most likely he'll bet if he has an A, trying to protect his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, he'll bet if he has an A, but he'll also bet a lot of other hands, QQ,JJ and quite possibly (depending on the player) about anything with a high club.

I think you're probably right though- 3 betting from the SB I'm normally thinking here's his range- JJ+,AQs+,AKo+, my equity looks to be 40% with that flop and if a brick falls on the turn I only improve to 43%. This pot is big enough to call that though, easily.

[ QUOTE ]
Not betting the turn after a flop raise is not giving up. It is just getting you to a showdown as safely and cheaply as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I could guarantee I'd get a free turn card after my flop raise I'd probably make it, however with his pf 3 bet he seems like he knows how to raise and most of the hands that are beating me here 3-bet me and follow up with a turn bet.

Now I'm just confusing myself. I still have pretty much no idea how to approach this.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:20 PM

The villan didnt cap preflop, we did! and he 3 bet out of the small blind, i do this all the time with junk, when somebody is a late raise opener, and i no his style of play. when you might be raising 66-88 i dont mind getting it heads up with you when i have KJo

But then you capped it, and he was thinking oh [censored], he has a hand, then the board comes scary, and you have the third nut flush draw, of course he is going to have a stab at it.

We need to starting looking at how the hand transpired not just- It was capped preflop, look at the texture of the raises
Old 09-24-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The villan didnt cap preflop, we did! and he 3 bet out of the small blind, i do this all the time with junk, when somebody is a late raise opener, and i no his style of play. when you might be raising 66-88 i dont mind getting it heads up with you when i have KJo

But then you capped it, and he was thinking oh [censored], he has a hand, then the board comes scary, and you have the third nut flush draw, of course he is going to have a stab at it.

We need to starting looking at how the hand transpired not just- It was capped preflop, look at the texture of the raises

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero raised in early position with already one limper on board, not a late position steal.