Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: fold AQ with a short stack?

Yes, probably, but you don't know when it will be folded to you next, and you're going to need to win the blinds once per round just to stay even unless you manage to double up. And you hardly have a ton of fold equity with this short stack.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:57 PM

I hate a fold here. You can't fold here unless you're beaten by worse than a coinflip--and I mean you have to KNOW. .And how can you possibly be sure? You don't play tournaments to eke into the money. And if you do, you're wasting your time. I've seen the tightest players get frisky and try to steal a pot with a so so hand from time to time. Even the densest players notice how people respond to their action and change it accordingly.

I can't imagine a pro ever folding in this situation.

You're probably one of the shortest stacks in the tourney at this point with a very strong hand. You can't waste what might be your last decent opportunity.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:29 AM

If you really think that villain's utg raise is AA-TT/AK. Then it's an easy fold. You've got no folding equity and you're only 32.6% to that range.

You can always get your money in as a 32% dog. Look for a better spot.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:42 AM

I don't think a 4 orbit read is sufficient to fold AQ on the short stack here. Push.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:47 AM

if ANYTHING, i am more concerned about those to act behind me here.

Dats no limit bayyybe
Old 09-09-2005, 11:48 AM

You gotta push, you're going to get called, but you have no choice.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:51 AM

I would fold this hand.

She raised UTG, indicating real strength.

You are in MP and this is preflop - so there are still at least 4 people to act behind you.

If I was in later position or if she was in later position, I would probably push - but those two factors combined make this a fold for me.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:08 PM

i thought it was a push, but this close to the money i'm tempted to pass. given the read, we're significantly behind utg's range with others left to act, so i'm not that anxious to get chips in.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought it was a push, but this close to the money i'm tempted to pass. given the read, we're significantly behind utg's range with others left to act, so i'm not that anxious to get chips in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree; I would rather open push in position with T8.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:47 PM

Depends on the payout. With most pay out structures sliding into the money is pretty weak. I want chips to make it to the final table (or close to it), where the real payout usually begins. With such a low M, and the blinds coming around, I don't see how we can fold this hand even without "first in viggorish". First in viggorish only applies to hands that you should be pushing like T8s. Even with a "tight" (not sure about this read) raiser in front of me, AQ is about as good as it's gunna get. With an M of six and higher I'd probably fold here, but it's read dependant. You have less than 2 orbits before your stack is halved, at which point doubling up (*if* you double up) will simply get you right back to where you were (but presumably worse since blinds will have gone up by then).