Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Any news on the forum split??

I have a question.

Is the issues too many posts?

Too many bad posts?

Or is it really the different psychology?

Because I'm betting it's more of the first two than the second, and I don't think a fix splits that. All it does is create a lower limit forum where bad posts will run amuck.

I am not sure what a fair solution to bad posts is (because the unfair answer is "commence banning"), but I just don't see anything getting better as the result of a split.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

OK. So the purpose of the split is so that the higher stakes players don't have to read the posts from the lower states people, right? If that's the case, then how can one also maintain that the low-stakes posts will receive as much attention?

[/ QUOTE ]

They won't receive as much attention, but they also won't receive as much negative attention.

One thing people need to realize is that this forum isn't some service specially designed for your personal use to improve YOUR game. It is a collective of people who all want to discuss and improve in their respective games. And I'm sorry but sometimes a 2/4 player's development, though terribly important to that player, needs to take a backseat to a player who has been here for 6 months or more and wants to have some meaningful discussion with the other strong players at his limit without having to dig 5 pages down to find the thread because it hasn't been bumped in 8 hours. If you notice in Mid/High, sometimes threads will go dormant for a week or more before sparking into a great discussion again. That never happens here because good threads get buried too far down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, thanks for a straightforward, honest analysis. I just wanted some acknowledgment that this split is meant to benefit those who play at higher stakes. That doesn't make it a bad idea, or even unfair. But I think it's silly to keep maintaining that the low-stakes people will not be adversely affected.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:48 PM

Hey Robk,

Out of curiosity, which forums do you feel have been more succesful at helping players, and why? Maybe we could implement some succesful ideas that other forums have used.

I personally have felt that HUSH is the best of the 2+2 forums content-wise, having been in ML, SS, dabbled in Mid-High, and waded through SSNL long enough to get muck on my shoes.

Surf
Old 09-06-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, thanks for a straightforward, honest analysis. I just wanted some acknowledgment that this split is meant to benefit those who play at higher stakes. That doesn't make it a bad idea, or even unfair. But I think it's silly to keep maintaining that the low-stakes people will not be adversely affected.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad to say, most of the lower limit players whose posts will suffer are players like you, Wynton. Up-and-coming, newer players who nevertheless analyze hands quite well, but simply aren't at 10/20+ yet for whatever reason.

Here's what happens:

I open HUSH. After checking for interesting posts of the relevant limit, i'll scroll down through the 50 posts displayed looking for names. If I see Wynton, Somethingclever, Entity(does he still play 5/10?) or other players that I recognize as solid posters who are at a lower limit, and I check out those posts.

If there's a split, i'll be doing the same thing, just jumping over to LUSH after my scanning of HUSH is done.

I personally don't answer statsposts/should I fold QT to a raise PF posts etc very often anymore, because it's repetitive. Many of these newer lower limit players will actually BENEFIT from a split, since their posts will be seen by other players at similar limits... another heirarchy will develop in LUSH and there will be plenty of veteran players there to answer whatever discussion arises - the ML forum hasn't imploded since noone from mid-high posts there...the games are too different.

Surf
Old 09-06-2005, 06:03 PM

I haven't thought about it enough to have an opinion on whether the lower stakes players will be adversely affected. I'm just saying that even if they will get somewhat less attention, that isn't a reason in itself not to split the forums. There are more important issues than that one.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:08 PM

Also, don't forget, there are some pretty [censored] good 5/10 players on this forum. You LUSHers won't be so bereft of talent as some would have you believe.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Entity(does he still play 5/10?)

[/ QUOTE ]

10/20 now, though today I was playing $3/6 clearing bonuses at Stars. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think saying that this will be to the detraction of 3/6 6max players is like saying that the MicroLimit forum is hindered by the fact that you can't post .5/1 hands in SS, neh? Rory is still going to pop in to tell you to fold preflop, Grisgra will still tell you to play less tables; in addition, the responses you get from higher stakes players may actually be better as we'll be more inclined to post more detailed responses since we won't feel as harried or as inundated by thousands of "stats post at 1/2 6max" posts.

Rob
Old 09-06-2005, 06:12 PM

The fact that I feel that I am completely unqualified to comment on 1/2 and 3/6 games b/c I have never played them makes me raise an eyebrow when I see that 1/2 and 3/6 players comment on 15/30 and 20/40 hands.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sad to say, most of the lower limit players whose posts will suffer are players like you, Wynton. Up-and-coming, newer players who nevertheless analyze hands quite well, but simply aren't at 10/20+ yet for whatever reason.

Here's what happens:

I open HUSH. After checking for interesting posts of the relevant limit, i'll scroll down through the 50 posts displayed looking for names. If I see Wynton, Somethingclever, Entity(does he still play 5/10?) or other players that I recognize as solid posters who are at a lower limit, and I check out those posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Also, don't forget, there are some pretty [censored] good 5/10 players on this forum. You LUSHers won't be so bereft of talent as some would have you believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now the flattery is coming out, we know we're being sold a bill of goods.

I feel like my kid is going way to college and promising to write, when we both know better. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... If you notice in Mid/High, sometimes threads will go dormant for a week or more before sparking into a great discussion again. That never happens here because good threads get buried too far down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am at 3/6 but I fully support the split. I,m posting hands at micros b/c here it's usually not possible to get a discussion going before you see your post disappearing.

Hopefully we'll see some real discussions in the HHUSH thread and good posters will return and post more frequently there. And noone will prevent anyone from taking part.

As for the LHUSH I'm sure poeple will still get good advice or even better there. And one more point. If you play 1/2 for example, most of the times it's better to seek advice from an experienced 1/2 player than a top 30/60 player. I can't imagine the latter will have a good idea of how the 1/2 games play. Sklanksy didnt write SSHE. Ed Miller did.