Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Not Optimum: Hand 2

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bad, over-aggressive players get AA, KK, and 99, too, ya know?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure they do. But what makes them bad over-aggressive players is that they may play A2, QQ, KQ, two hearts, AT, ..... the same way here. You have a set. You don't get sets very often. You should give the LAG a chance to pay you off when you do get one.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
SB is a 30/20 LAG (only 50 odd hands) and certainly capable of a light steal, his AF is 7...

[/ QUOTE ]
I could have these stats after 50 hands.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:27 PM

He's just lucky I didn't get to this thread first. Who does Sfer think he is anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well you're cool, too, brett, but you're no dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're back? If you're in town there's a game this week. I'm leaving town next week (see location) and its my last low-limit donkfest avec beer.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:36 PM

tell me more...

and yes, I'm back
Old 08-22-2005, 03:37 PM

PMed....
Old 08-22-2005, 04:07 PM

If I had zero hands, I still at least cap the turn. There are as many combinations of AK as 99/KK/AA. And you at least have to admit that other hands are possible.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had zero hands, I still at least cap the turn. There are as many combinations of AK as 99/KK/AA. And you at least have to admit that other hands are possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. I agree the turn has to get capped and I might be wrong just calling a river bet, 3-betting is close and capping not far IMO. My point was that posters seem to put a bit too much emphasis on the read.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:26 AM

There are two kinds of posters on the Forum, it seems; those who believe poker is a battle of egos and those who believe poker is a battle of intellect.

While your response may be attractive to the first category it does not provide any insight into the hand or reasons why a play is superior, or indeed what the considerations are.

Given the nature of my question and the details provided it should have been evident I am looking for more than a grunt-thump answer. It's ok to make a post for entertainment, I don't mind at all, I am just making a point for those who think such responses add to the debate constructively.

Simply hammering away with big hands is a pretty good strategy in these spots, I agree, most play too timidly. But there is a point where, with each extra bet going in, we have to start considering our opponent may have a hand worth capping thro too... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 03:29 AM

I agree, which is why I mentioned I had only 50 hands on villain - it is only enough to know he is aggressive, not a maniac or f**ktard.

My question really revolved around what to do on the River when the Turn gets capped again.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are two kinds of posters on the Forum, it seems; those who believe poker is a battle of egos and those who believe poker is a battle of intellect.

While your response may be attractive to the first category it does not provide any insight into the hand or reasons why a play is superior, or indeed what the considerations are.

Given the nature of my question and the details provided it should have been evident I am looking for more than a grunt-thump answer. It's ok to make a post for entertainment, I don't mind at all, I am just making a point for those who think such responses add to the debate constructively.

Simply hammering away with big hands is a pretty good strategy in these spots, I agree, most play too timidly. But there is a point where, with each extra bet going in, we have to start considering our opponent may have a hand worth capping thro too... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you believe he is a LAG? You said he was. That leads me to reason that he will have some ridiculously overplayed hand more often that a bigger set or even top two. You simply must be willing to give a lot of action to LAGs when you flop a big hand, particularly in a HU SB/BB situation. All three conditions are met here.

Let me state it this way. If I go 6 bets on the turn/river and I find out that bottom set is good against a LAG who was willing to give me more action, I'm much more disappointed than if I go 8 bets on the turn/river and he has top set. I can live with the second scenario because LAGs get paid off. That's poker.

You might think I play with ego but that's really not true, and, more importantly, you're in absolutely no position to judge one way or the other. I don't make posts offering hand-reading prizes for hands that are nonsensical. Chief agreed with me; that should tell you something.