Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Horrible Baseball Broadcasters

[ QUOTE ]
you left out the absolute worst.... Fran Healy needs to have his vocal chords cut and a gallon of bleach poured down his throat ... I have tried on several occasions to watch met games this year but just can't listen to this guy

[/ QUOTE ]

"SO, that's gonna DO it for Kris Benson, he's pitched a WHALE of a BALLGAME!!!!!!!!!!!"

BTW: Gary Cohen, Mets radio announcer, is about the best you're likely to hear....
Old 08-15-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To answer your question, I think a significant part of the problem is that "go team go" yes men are hired instead of honest and critical broadcasters that angry fans can identify with.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your running a business do you hire a guy who is pleasant and positive about the company or an equally or slightly more qualified guy who bitches up and down all day?

In general I'm fine with guys who don't say anything negative about the team. I just hate guys who either openly root for the team (Hi Ron Santo) or who get upset when the other team does something well.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:05 PM

I wasn't really getting at whether they are homers or not. I just want some professional analysis of the game. Talk about the OPS of a guy in the minors for example. Or talk about how you would approach hitting a certin pitcher.

Instead, you just get the Captain Obvious statements like "as a team, you would really would like to be the first one to put a run on the board."

Just add some insight. Don't assume everyone watching the game is an immigrant from Poland watching their first game ever.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Hank Greenwald

a sometimes A's broadcaster is the worst ever. May you never have the opportunity to listen to this clown. He is bitter, old, senile and hates the A's.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't assume everyone watching the game is an immigrant from Poland watching their first game ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously you have never taken a broadcasing class. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously there are alot of idiots in this world. As a matter of fact I would say at least 90% of the population are complete and total wastes of space. I'm not saying I'm not in this 90%. I'm just saying that the majority of people are idiots and unfortunatly we have to appeal to the masses.

[ QUOTE ]
Talk about the OPS of a guy in the minors for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will never here OPS on a consistent basis for at least another 10-20 years.

I would love to here intelligent analysis of any sport. Instead people like Tim McCarver and Terry Bradshaw remain very popular. You want to know why? Because people are idiots and they feel a special bond to other idiots.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Hank Greenwald

[ QUOTE ]
a sometimes A's broadcaster is the worst ever. May you never have the opportunity to listen to this clown. He is bitter, old, senile and hates the A's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Bill King. When he was doing the Warriors games he would get into on-air screaming matches with the referees.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 AM

The WGN guy for the CWS who says "he gone". I can't stand that guy. I don't get to see very man red sox games, but when they play on WGN the mute is on. Seriously, I don't know why the "he gone" bothers me so much. And I almost think it would be better if he said it for both teams. Wait, WTF am I talking about. It would be better if he didn't say a thing.

craig
Old 08-16-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Hank Greenwald

Bill King is awesome. I've heard some people say he's the greatest radio announcer for basketball ever.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Steve Stone is the solution

I live in Chicago and am a lifelong White Sox fan, but had the privelege of listening to Steve Stone commentate Cubs games for many years. He's no longer in the Cubs booth, due to the jackass that's managing the team now, and the tools that are playing for him. He's currently doing games for ESPN. Former player or broadcast major -- it doesn't get any better. If you get an opportunity to watch a game he announces, do it. Listening to him do a game is a treat for a serious baseball fan.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:26 PM

In football, the color guys talk about how a Cover 2 defense works, or the blocking scheme in a counter run. Are baseball fans dumber than football fans?