Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: AJ on a monotone board , yes?

hmm. I actually agree with Joshua here.

Check Raising the flop as opposed to check calling is +EV. Granted. However, we must face the following: a heart draw will not fold, and we will lose when a heart hits. We will win if hearts miss.

Given such, I think it's best to devise a strategy, given that the heart will not fold, to MAXIMIZE our profit when a heart misses, and MINIMIZE our losses when a heart does hit.

If we check-raise the flop, bet turn, etc until a heart falls at which point we check fold, we get 2 BB in on the flop, 4 BB in if a heart doesn't hit the turn, and 6 BB in if a heart doesn't hit the river.

If he check call the flop, we get 1 BB in on the flop, check raising the turn puts 5 BB in on the turn assuming no heart on the turn, and then betting out a non-heart river puts 7BB in.

I like Josh's line, we win more when a heart misses, and it involves us putting more money in after we've already seen a non-heart turn. Otherwise, we minimize our losses and lose 1 instead of 2 bets to a heart that wasn't folding to a flop check-raise.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:20 AM

"If he check call the flop, we get 1 BB in on the flop, check raising the turn puts 5 BB in on the turn assuming no heart on the turn, and then betting out a non-heart river puts 7BB in."

Check calling the flop 3 players are putting in 1/2BB each. You also assume that we are going to be able to c/r the turn and have both players call.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check calling the flop 3 players are putting in 1/2BB each. You also assume that we are going to be able to c/r the turn and have both players call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding out a lone flush draw on the turn with a check-raise is great for us.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best of luck with that.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:19 AM

I'd try and be more aggressive especially on the flop (and pre-flop... 3-bet anyone?) and raise.

The turn was an easy fold

Steve Griff
Old 08-10-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best of luck with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's happening. Wackjob said it would be bad if a player folded, I'm saying it's not so bad if it happens.

I don't think it's happening too often though. Our check-raise is getting paid off by anything legitimate.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:42 AM

There is one other thing you don't consider.. you might check the turn and it may get checked through - the most disastrous thing that could happen.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is one other thing you don't consider.. you might check the turn and it may get checked through - the most disastrous thing that could happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, that's true. I just don't think it's happening very frequently, especially considering UTG's donkbet. If he doesn't bet MP is probably going to.