Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: The Fantasy Football Advice Column

[ QUOTE ]
So, you really wouldnt recommend doing a public $39.99 or $49.99 leauge at all for collusion ?

I thought that public leagues were put together at random, and dont alot of places give everyone in the league a chance to veto an uneven trade ? or is that just yahoo ?

[/ QUOTE ]

As people fall out of contention, the better teams tend to contact the lesser ones in order to make deals, oftentimes offering some sort of non-football compensation (read: money) if the better team wins. Because lesser teams drop out, they're not around to veto these trades.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:38 AM

Here's my roster: I think it needs some help, but I don't know where to go with it to plug those holes.

Draft order (11 teams):
10 - P. Holmes RB
13 - D. McAllister RB
30 - J. Walker WR
33 - A. Johnson WR
50 - D. Brees QB
53 - M. Vanderjact K
70 - A. Brooks QB
73 - Atlanta D
90 - D. Foster RB
93 - A. Lelie WR
110 - E. Johnson TE
113 - M. Bennett RB
130 - M. Anderson RB
133 - L. Coles WR

My plan with the RBs, is to see if any of my three backups have a huge game or two and then trade them for a good TE/WR.

Duckett is availbe, as well as: T. Jones, T. Henry for RB (worth mentioning)

WRs - L. Evans, T. Houshmandzadeh, D. Givens.

After the first week starts, we pay $1/trade to get a little more in the prize pool. So, this is the time to make my biggest adjustments. (Also, the reason I'm stacking questionable RBs right now.)

So, I guess the only question is whether or not I should pick up Duckett and/or drop a current RB for something else.

(and feel free to critize my draft ... it was insane I tell ya. Kickers were going in the third round, TEs in the fourth. It was pretty challenging to select players at the proper times.)
Old 08-05-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, there's Corey Dillon, Curtis Martin, and to a lesser degree, Jerome Bettis. I'll take these guys before I take almost any WR, but I'm not really willing to bank my season on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dillon and Martin in a class with Bettis? Are you nuts? Bettis ahead of Staley? Not sure why you are down on Dillon and Martin, but both are as steady as they come. I actually expect a big year out of Dillon.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my roster: I think it needs some help, but I don't know where to go with it to plug those holes.

Draft order (11 teams):
10 - P. Holmes RB
13 - D. McAllister RB
30 - J. Walker WR
33 - A. Johnson WR
50 - D. Brees QB
53 - M. Vanderjact K
70 - A. Brooks QB
73 - Atlanta D
90 - D. Foster RB
93 - A. Lelie WR
110 - E. Johnson TE
113 - M. Bennett RB
130 - M. Anderson RB
133 - L. Coles WR

[/ QUOTE ]

Brees is probably too early at 50, because there are plenty of guys who are very similar that you can get three rounds later (such as Aaron Brooks). And there's virtually no need to take a backup QB. Also, don't draft defenses, kickers, or TEs. You can get servicable replacements on waivers after the draft. (Obviously, that doesn't apply if Akers, Vinny, or Vandy are available really late, or if Gonzo, Witten, or Gates are available in round six or seven.)

What else? I don't see any reason to take Mike Anderson. He's 32 and they have a bundle of RBs -- there are probably better guys to pick up (see Duckett, TJ).

I like the rest of your draft and am shocked that Coles lasted so long.

[ QUOTE ]

My plan with the RBs, is to see if any of my three backups have a huge game or two and then trade them for a good TE/WR.

Duckett is availbe, as well as: T. Jones, T. Henry for RB (worth mentioning)

WRs - L. Evans, T. Houshmandzadeh, D. Givens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cut your defense for Evans.

[ QUOTE ]

After the first week starts, we pay $1/trade to get a little more in the prize pool. So, this is the time to make my biggest adjustments. (Also, the reason I'm stacking questionable RBs right now.)

So, I guess the only question is whether or not I should pick up Duckett and/or drop a current RB for something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to make as many two for one trades as possible. Package Brooks and a RB for someone better, two RBs for a WR, whatever. Use the extra space to pick up TJ Housawhatever, Duckett, Henry, and a defense.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:42 AM

Taking a kicker where you did is terrible. The difference between the best kicker in the league and the 11th (11 team league, right? no one's drafting TWO kickers, are they?) is more than made up for by the fact that you'll be getting a quality position player while other people are wasting early and middle rounders on kickers. It's particularly bad considering that picking which kicker is going to produce from year to year is basically impossible.

I'm also a proponent of the rotating defense strategy, although having the Steelers last year was really nice for me.

-McGee
Old 08-05-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Finally, there's Corey Dillon, Curtis Martin, and to a lesser degree, Jerome Bettis. I'll take these guys before I take almost any WR, but I'm not really willing to bank my season on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dillon and Martin in a class with Bettis? Are you nuts? Bettis ahead of Staley? Not sure why you are down on Dillon and Martin, but both are as steady as they come. I actually expect a big year out of Dillon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dillon: Age 31, 345 carries (plus 65 in the post season)
Martin: Age 32, 371 carries
Bettis: Age 33, hasn't topped 250 carries in years, but still scores 7++ TDs.
Staley: Age 30, coming off injury, has never been really that good.

The first two are likely to take a step back, Bettis is likely to put up 600 yards and 7 TDs at a minimum, and may have a lot of touchdowns like he did last year.

Staley will be splitting carries and not those of the goal-line variety.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: The Fantasy Football Advice Column (low content)

(Just to give you a sense of the insanity of the draft to put a few of my picks in context, here are the first three rounds, this doesn't really need a reply. It's just for entertainment. My picks are bolded. (and I guess it's a 10 person draft, not 11 like I said before)

This post has really low content, but wtf ...

Round 1
1. P. Manning
2. L. Tomlinson
3. D. McNabb
4. D. Culpepper
5. T. Green
6. S. Alexander
7. M. Harrison
8. E. James
9. P. Holmes
10. W. McGahee

Round 2
11. T. Owens
12. D McAllister
13. J. Lewis
14. M. Vick
15. C. Dillion
16. J. Jone
17. C. Johnson
18. T. Bell
19. K. Collins
20. B. Westbrook

Round 3
21. R. Wayne
22. T. Holt
23. H. Ward
24. T. Gonzalez
25. R. Moss
26. A. Gates
27. C. Martin
28. R. Johnson
29. J. Walker
30. T. Brady

I hope that was enjoyable.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: The Fantasy Football Advice Column (low content)

i guess there are fish in FF, too

5. T. Green

7. M. Harrison

14. M. Vick

19. K. Collins

30. T. Brady
Old 08-05-2005, 03:59 PM

I'll go with others and post my roster. I like its chances this year, but I always seem to have the injury bug hit me harder than anyone in my league...

QBs - Donovan McNabb, Chad Pennington (new O.C.)

RBs - Clinton Portis, Michael Bennett (as the feature for the Vikes), Marshall Faulk, Michael Pittman, and Dominic Rhodes all as backups (with Faulk and Rhodes only if something happens to the other RB on the team).

WRs - Andre Johnson and Ashley Lelie as starters, Keary Colbert, Donte Stallworth, and Robert Ferguson as backups.

TE - Jeremy Shockey, with Jeb Putzier of Denver as backup.

Kickers - Janikowski, with Lawrence Tynes for sleeper potential.

Defense - New England

I like it. I've been to my league's title game two years running, but have yet to win the thing. This is my year. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 04:07 PM

How's this? It's a 10-team FLEX league.

QB: Hasselmonster, Kerry
RB: Tiki, Domanick, Bennett, Goings, Gore, Pittman
WR: Reggie Wayne, Darrell Jackson, Anquan, Rod Smith, TJ Whosyerdaddy
TE: Witten
D: Eagles
K: Kasay