Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   The Fantasy Football Advice Column (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=308015)

The Armchair 08-04-2005 09:00 PM

The Fantasy Football Advice Column

Being a self-important prick, I figured I should open up a thread like the "Ask Bison" ones in OOT. Big difference is that mine is going to be about fantasy football, because that's pretty much the only thing I know anything about.

All reasonable questions will be answered except those involving defenses (including individual defensive players) because the best way to use a defense is to pick a new one every week based on how bad of a team they are facing.

CD56 08-04-2005 09:09 PM

Re: The Fantasy Football Advice Column

how do you rate the top 25 rb's based on a td-6pt, 10yd-1pt standard league,

The Armchair 08-04-2005 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you rate the top 25 rb's based on a td-6pt, 10yd-1pt standard league,

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally don't go in with an actual list, and draft by the seat of my pants. But I have some rough tiers in mind and draft accordingly.

LT is #1, and in a class by himself.

The second grouping is Alexaner, Holmes, Edge, McGahee. They each have a significant question surrounding them, but are so good that they stand above the rest.

Next, I tend to favor the younger guys who have shown they they are good: Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, Rudi Johnson, Domanick Davis.

Then I have the youngish vets who are all good and could either soar or crumble -- and even if they do fall, absent due to injury, they'll still put up good numbers. Tiki Barber (although he could be in another category), Jamal Lewis, Deuce McAllister, Clinton Portis, Ahman Green, and Brian Westbrook are all here.

After them is a group of young RBs who are not as proven. These guys should honestly be drafted at about the same point as the group above, to taste: Tatum Bell*, Lamont Jordan, Steven Jackson, and JJ Arrington are here. I'm tempted to add Carnell Williams to this category, but I want to hear Gruden name him the starter first. But for sake of argument, let's includ him here.

You'll note Bell is asterisked above. That is because while I'm rather sure he'll start, it's hardly a lock as of yet.

Finally, there's Corey Dillon, Curtis Martin, and to a lesser degree, Jerome Bettis. I'll take these guys before I take almost any WR, but I'm not really willing to bank my season on them.

That's 23. I'd go with DeShaun Foster and Michael Bennett to round it out, but the fact is that I'm less likely to take them than many others would because I really hate losing a top 5 round draft pick to injury, and because neither has a clear backup.

I find it sad that Marshall Faulk did not make this list.

RacersEdge 08-04-2005 10:04 PM

Oh no...

BadBoyBenny 08-04-2005 10:34 PM

I have a poor team team in a league that keeps six players each year.

The only serviceable running back that I have is Chris Brown. I get first pick in the upcoming draft. Assuming that all proven Running Backs will be kept and only rookies are available, which one should I pick?

The league scores 6 points for a TD
1 point for 15 yards rushing or receiving
1/2 point per catch.

SossMan 08-04-2005 10:38 PM

I can't say that i disagree with your analysis to any large extent. FWIW, i have Dillion about 10 spots higher and am not as high on Lewis and Westbrook, but like you say, it's a matter of taste.

tbach24 08-04-2005 10:53 PM

I was watching ESPN the other day and they were talking about Westbrook in reference to there being trouble in camp with him. I didn't see the report and didn't see anything in ESPN's NFL page. Is there anything or am I imagining things?

Is Tatum Bell going to be the RB in Denver?

What do you think of Antonio Gates continuing his dominance?

Josh W 08-04-2005 11:24 PM

JJ Arrington. High upside, good chance of starting, big play potential.

Also, a guy like LaMont Jordan has a high likelihood of going "unkept".

Josh W 08-04-2005 11:27 PM

Westbrook is not in camp.

I think that Gates will do at least as much as 90% of what he did last year. The bolts really didn't upgrade at WR, so they'll still look to him, esp. in the redzone.

RB situation in Denver, I think, is unresolved right now. I know that Clarett's contract has little or no guaranteed money, but a lot of incentives (by his choice). He plans on earning a lot of incentives, so he may be getting carries...I don't know if any other RBs are in the mix.

Josh

holeplug 08-05-2005 12:14 AM

What kind of #'s do you think Culpepper will put up this year?