Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: I can\'t beat .5/1 Party

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, CO folds.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, BB calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Beginner posting blind:

First of all, there's no way I'm seeing a flop with this hand UTG.

On the flop, I'd probably call. You have middle pair and a gutshot (although the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is tainted). If I thought a raise would fold someone, I'd consider that.

If you're certain UTG+1 will bet, I like the CR on the turn. You probably have the best hand, so you want to get more bets in.

On the river, there's no way I'm betting. You're playing the board, and anyone with a Q beats you. I'm check/calling here, and I'm expecting to lose.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plenty of good advice on this thread. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel, since I think pretty much everything everyone else has said is dead on.

Okay 2+2 is about honesty and tough love. So I'm gonna offer you some tough love. Someone told this to me at one time, and I share this with people when I think it's appropriate. This is not meant to be offensive, or hurtful, or mean. This is meant to make you a better poker player. Hearing this made me a MUCH better player.

You ready? Okay. It time to realize and accept the fact that, right now, you suck at poker. Now, this does not make you a bad person. It does not mean you kick puppies or sympathize with Nazis. It does not mean you are stupid either. You just don't know what you are doing at a poker table. B/c you suck at poker.

The reason I'm rubbing this in a little (the fact that you suck at poker) is b/c I think it's important that you accept it as truth. No, even more, you need to embrace it. Then you can get better. It's time to deconstruct yr game. Only after you have been totally honest with yrself about yr ability level can you begin to get good, or at least significantly better.

Hope you do well in the future.

EDIT: This applies to hold em. You could probably school me in stud (I see you post on that board).

[/ QUOTE ]

This definitely needed to be said.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:30 PM

My 2 cents here is at .5/1 you bet until someone tells you otherwise, value bet way more than you think is right, but be able to fold to raises... they never raise, so when they do its either a total bluff or they have the goods
Old 07-06-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You ready? Okay. It time to realize and accept the fact that, right now, you suck at poker. Now, this does not make you a bad person. It does not mean you kick puppies or sympathize with Nazis. It does not mean you are stupid either. You just don't know what you are doing at a poker table. B/c you suck at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was so harsh but so funny. Oh, and you're going to hell.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was so harsh but so funny. Oh, and you're going to hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the OP, I have to reiterate that the harsh words are meant to help you and are NOT meant to ridicule you. The above comment I think is only making fun of how harsh posters here can be. If anything I enjoy the frankness of comments here because the advice (almost always great) sticks in your head that much better.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:12 PM

A guy's first night at 2+2, his ass is a wad of cookie dough. After a few weeks he's carved out of wood.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:33 PM

Doesn't Dr Al say in Psychology of Poker that one of the greatest traits of the best players is a brutal honesty with themselves about their own game?

When you start to tell yourself you suck at poker, you're beginning to not suck at poker.

Or so I keep telling myself [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you start to tell yourself you suck at poker, you're beginning to not suck at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true
Old 07-06-2005, 03:56 PM

Before you can take off the training wheels, you'd be well advised to work on your balance.

Find a chart. SSH, WLLH, ITH, whatever. I wrote out the WLLH charts long hand. It doesn't really matter which one you pick. Just follow it. Religiously. Burn it into your brain to the point where you can't imagine playing 9To anywhere (let alone in EP). By the time you're ready to re-evaluate, you'll be equipped to consider it.

Err on the side of tightness pf and try to simplify your post flop game. Push big edges. Let little ones go, especially if you're not sure whether they're edges at all. We all play "fit or fold", we just tend to "fit" more often as we become better at correctly evaluating our relative hand strength. But everyone needs to start somewhere, and Lee Jones will make you money if you listen to what he has to say.

Jones will take care of the "what" and give you time to work out the "why". Read books (TOP, SSH). Read 2+2. Respond to posts. Think about your play. And gradually open up your game as you become more comfortable with the fundamentals.

Write out an odds chart if you're not already familiar with the numbers. Carefully count outs. Tell yourself why you're making each play instead of just playing by wrote or feel. Incorporate new ideas as you become comfortable with them. Ruthlessly evaluate your game -- not by looking at stats or $s, but by how well you understand the ideas you're working with and how successfully you're applying them in game conditions.

Baby step your way to fun and profit.

And never, ever delude yourself into thinking that your last 5,10,20,50K hands tell you what you need to know about the quality of your game. Variance is a capricious bitch. Beautiful. Irresistible. Chronically unfaithful. She makes us feel invincible, knows just when to turn the knife. And despite all the abuse, deep down we know we can't live without her. Wouldn't want to. Even as we half-heartedly try to convince ourselves otherwise. (feel free to transpose genders if need be)

Best of luck and happy pokering.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:39 PM

[quoteCheck/call that river if it's one to you, if it's 2 or more then fold, any Q or 6 has you dead to rites.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he needs to worry about someone with a six, given that board.