Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Calm down newbies...

i respond to the responds to my responds ( [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ) very often and i appreciate it if others do the same. i think it helps to explain the thoughts more detailed if there is a disagreement. i hope there are not too many people who are bothered by that.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Outside of that, most people are seriously delusional in regards to their poker skills…

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...this includes many regular posters who post on this forum. I see much bad/shaky advice given out by the regulars on this forum(forget the newbies).

[ QUOTE ]
I’m not an elitist, and I try my best to be a nice guy, but please, if you’re new here and fairly new to the game, try not to post so much advice in a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Relying on the ignorant to police themselves is folly.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Multiple posts in the same thread annoy me. I suggest posters read an original post, really think about it and post if you feel you have something to add. Then give it some time and let a reasonable number of 2+2ers respond. This goes for OP also.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by multiple posts? Do you mean stuff like people just quoting someone else as their reply? Or the original poster of a thread replying to responses in his/her own thread? Or one person responding to numerous posts in 1 thread?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Posting to declare your own advice without any reasoning and not changing your own ideas is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was discussed in the "State of the Forum" thread and is another reason why the "cryptic one-liners" can be detrimental to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you mean this in the sense that idiots can also be idiots in one-liner-form, then I agree. If you mean it in the sense that one-liner posts are generally bad than I vehemently disagree.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Multiple posts in the same thread annoy me. I suggest posters read an original post, really think about it and post if you feel you have something to add. Then give it some time and let a reasonable number of 2+2ers respond. This goes for OP also.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by multiple posts? Do you mean stuff like people just quoting someone else as their reply? Or the original poster of a thread replying to responses in his/her own thread? Or one person responding to numerous posts in 1 thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Allow me a little further explanation.

I mean when OP posts, gets one response, posts agreement or disagreement, gets another response, posts again, goes back and forth a couple times, etc. defending his position or not being 'open' to various opinions.

I just learn more from seeing numerous responses/ideas from a larger number of 2+2ers...group discussion if you will.

Maybe I am off base a bit? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (Work is really annoying me today.)

Maybe I can dig up a couple examples...
Old 06-29-2005, 06:44 PM

I originally was not specifically referring to one-liners. I was aiming more towards people who post advice without any reasoning and don't back it up or if they do continue to argue their action, they refuse to change their opinion. (Ego)

However, I also think one-liners can be bad and unhelpful, but it depends on the situation.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people who post advice without any reasoning and don't back it up or if they do continue to argue their action, they refuse to change their opinion. (Ego)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is part of what I was trying to say...
Old 06-29-2005, 06:48 PM

I understand what you're saying, but when I post a hand, I usually like to respond to what people have said. That's why I'm posting - to give/receive poker advice. Most of the times, a large discussion doesn't happen (which isn't always a bad thing), but I'm still going to respond to the people who replied to my post. And some of the time, posts just don't get very many different posters, so you just discuss with who's available.

People who make posts and aren't open to differing opinions are definitely annoying.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've just read some hands here and I think one problem is that "newbies" are heading straight to SS without making a stop at the Micros or even the Begginers forums. I've spent like 6 months in micro and it did me a lotta good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is probably the problem.

You know, I qualified what I was saying in response to Aces McGee, but now I don't think that just the attitude is what was really bothering me this afternoon. It just seemed like the forum was getting overrun. Honestly, it seems like the micro forum is always overrun with these things, but that's where it should start out. The last couple of days (for me anyway) the SS forum felt like I was in the micro forum and it bothered me....that's where this OP came from.

Aces McGee is right that everyone should discuss to grow...it's just wild when people are going in every thread here and posting horrible advice....it's hard to even keep up with, and somehow someone like crunchy is keeping up with it. He has to feel like he's been running a full time job the last week.

You're right, if everyone started out in the micros for a while, a lot of this would be eliminated.

Another thing I was thinking about on my way home is that perhaps this is just something you experience as you continue to grow in the game.

For example, there probably comes a time in a beginners phase where he gets frustrated with the micros because the conversations don't help him as much. There are fewer and fewer threads that make him think and cause him to grow.

So, he goes to SS forum, and he's the newbie and the cycle hums.

If some of the better players (and I think this is the case with many of them) posted in the SS forum, they would probably get frustrated much of the time as well because of the same thing. So, perhaps this is what I'm feeling or Jason T and others....I don't know.

For me, though, there's only 1 or 2 times a week where a thread will turn a light on for me, and it used to be a lot more often than that. Now, instead of that happening, I'm reading through threads of new posters saying things with some form of authority going "OMG", but I can't keep up with it all.

I just spewed my thoughts all over this page....but this is where I was coming from.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:41 PM

Lot's of good ideas. Tip of the Q-Tip to you.

Regarding coming straight into SS versus spending some time in micro. My experience lo those many months ago was that the issues and situations discussed in SS were just of a much higher caliber than micro. I read without posting for a long time. I learned a lot here while I was playing 1/2 mostly -- though I know it doesn't show [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, for any newbies who feel like this is the place to be; I know where you're coming from. But I would recommend reading more than you post and really doing your homework on the analysis of your posts. Which is sort of like saying do as I say not as I do.

Cheers all.