+ abs + a row variation + triceps

Saturday:
Heavy Hatfield Bench press day
Dynamic Effort Deadlift
+ abs + a row variation + triceps
Old 06-26-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: All you lifters out there, general discussion

[ QUOTE ]
I'm convinced a full-body routine is the way to go. I also think too many people do way too many exercises. I think sticking with the big three (Deads, Squat, Bench) is all most people need (5x5). Maybe substitute Cleans for Deads on occasion or Military Presses for the Bench occasionally. Frankly I think 99% of the bodybuilding books should be burned, along with the magazines. People don't need all these little isolation exercises unless you're competing for Mr. Olympia or something. Lately I haven't had much time so I've been just doing the clean & press. It's a great exercise that works you top to bottom. I'm also a big fan of these silly little things...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a monster fan of those wheels, though I don't like the ones where the wheel is too skinny.

I used to do them from a standing position, too, but I'm not strong enough any more. That's the only specific fitness goal I have at this time -- to be able to do those from a standing position again.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think sticking with the big three (Deads, Squat, Bench) is all most people need (5x5).

[/ QUOTE ]

I read this advice on here before and have tried it. It seems to be good advice.

I think there are 2 things that I think are the most important which have yet to be mentioned.

1. Time

People will make most of their gains in the first year of lifting. Then the gains are smaller and people seem to quit. Sticking to it for the long-term is key. Certain times of the year must be easier so you can rest and avoid injury but never stop for more than 2 weeks or a month. The biggest mistake I have made in the past is stopping for too long. Normally to focus on cario.

2. Intensity

Hard to explain but you control the intensity of any lift or exercise movement. That's why jake gets so much out of the little wheel thing and others think they are junk. He does the movements with good form and they work the muscles thoroughly.

To increase intensity it is often required to lower the weight. The speed of the movement is important also. Never use the momentum of the movement to help move the weight. The positive and the negative parts of the movement should require effort. At no point in-between reps should you have a rest period.

Intensity is hard to explain but it is a form of self-torture in my mind. I think of ways I can make each rep harder. You don't even need weights I am currently doing pushups, pull-ups, chins, dips, weightless squats. I have done squats with over 300 pounds before but doing them with better form without weight can be just as hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to imagine not getting much out of the wheel. Most people who can do sit-ups all day and night quickly tire on the wheel.

You're right that form makes a huge difference on it, too. Using momentum, or your back muscles and hip flexors to do much of the pulling completely changes the load placed on your abs.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:09 PM

Current split-

Day 1 (whenever that is):Chest/Shoulers/Back/Cardio
Day 2:Arms/Abs/Cardio
Day 3:Legs/Cardio/Abs
Day 4:Repeat day 1
Day 5:Repeat day 2
Day 6:Repeat Day 3
Day 7:Repeat Day 4

Upon first glance I realize that my split seems like overkill but you have to realize
1)It's summer and I have no job so I don't have anything else to do
2)I'm incredibly out of shape

As to the actual bodyparts themselves I perform 3 sets for each bodypart on Day 1/4 with rep ranges from 8-10 for power movements (heavy rows/shoulder presses/chest presses) and 10-12 for pulldown/flyes/lateral raises and the like.

I only rest about 30-45 seconds between sets for all weight training and this keeps your heart rate up and goes a long way towards burning extra calories/keeping you in condition.
It's because of this I was able to keep the same training volume and add cardio while keeping my workout time to only 1 hour; which is actually 10-15 minutes less than what it was years ago.

As for arms I apply the same method of three sets though I usually bump up the reps for biceps to 10-12 in order to force more blood in their as that is my worst bodypart. Towards this end I like to finish up biceps with a burnout set of 20-25 reps of a cable movement.

Abs training is divided between "heavier" training (e.g using some of the more difficult moves where I can't get many reps such as decline-bench situps and swiss-ball movements) whereas I emphasize (proper) reps on other days

As for legs, since they grow so fast I do not need to use squats or the like so I simply do 3-5 (depending on how i feel) sets of 20 bodyweight squats and 1-2 sets of 20 lunges. Hamstrings and calves training is done whenever I feel those parts are lagging.

The real secret to training my lower body is cardio. This is because my cardio workout utilizes more sprinting and plyometrics (jumps and the like). This has the dual benefits of quickly increasing heart rate while utilizing type 1 muscle fibers which, combined with "traditional" cardio and my bodyweight work provides a total leg workout.

A good idea of the type of workout I prefer can be found Here

Nutrition-as it always has been- is the key to success. Right now I'm eating 6 small meals (half are protein shakes/bars though I'm trying to change this) emphasizing lean protein/fresh produce/whole grains and healthy fats.
Right now I'm eating about 2,000 calories a day with the following macronutrient breakdown:
30%-Protein
20%-Fat
50%-Carbs

Supplement wise (beyond protein shakes/bars) I use Branched Chain Amino Acids (5 grams after exercise)/Glutamine (3 grams twice daily) and a Thermogenic

I suppose the last thing I can say is have a good source to turn to for more info. My favorite is Bodybuilding.com which not only is packed with info but also runs the best supplement shop on the net.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:14 PM

I think you need to eat a lot more. I'm sure I've averaged over 5000 calories per day and I'm only 160lbs. Maybe if you are trying to lose weight, but still - 2k cals isnt much at all.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-26-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to eat a lot more. I'm sure I've averaged over 5000 calories per day and I'm only 160lbs. Maybe if you are trying to lose weight, but still - 2k cals isnt much at all.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I have arrived at my figure after 22 years of experimentation on my body and figuring out that I don't handle to many calories all that well.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the great replies, couple of things Id like to respond to.

1. I agree with Jake in that I think people in general get too elaborate with their routines. Im not really referring to people that have responded here, because it seems to me that the folks that have responded know enough about what they want out of their routine and how it all fits together to be more elaborate.

2. Bodyweight exercises-Big big fan of this. No question there. Before I started my current lifting routine, I had gone to exclusively doing bodyweight exercises. Why did I stop doing them? I find lifting to be much more psychologically satisfying for me. Simple as that. I was starting to dread going out and doing my bodyweight routines because I found them becoming very boring.

3. The wheel thing- To be honest, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about this topic and I have never seen anyone use this thing before. The function of it is pretty obvious from the picture, but I sure would appreciate any more details on the thing, including what parts you used to build it with if you built your own.

4. Two things I meant to put in my OP.
a) If you have ever have a woman complain to you about not being able to lose weight, get on your soapbox about lifting. Lifting has a generally negative image among many women because of some myths out there.
b) Dave Draper's website is the cat's meow in my opinion. I dont post there, but I do read the boards and his email newsletter is great.

Thanks everyone again for all the great replies, much appreciated.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. The wheel thing- To be honest, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about this topic and I have never seen anyone use this thing before. The function of it is pretty obvious from the picture, but I sure would appreciate any more details on the thing, including what parts you used to build it with if you built your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

They've been around since at least the 1970s, but have never gotten the recognition they deserve. Too simple. A lot of people think they're kind of gimmicky. If you search THIS FORUM for "evil wheel" a lot of stuff comes up. They're great for strengthening your "core" and give your shoulders and traps a decent workout too. Even if you're in very good shape, don't be surprised if you get sore the first couple of times you use one of these because they work muscles a little differently.

Also THIS GUY pushes a more expensive version. I've heard good & bad things about this guy. Let's just say he's very "marketing-oriented" and leave it at that.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:57 PM

Jake,

You said you built your own, mind providing me with a parts list? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jake,

You said you built your own, mind providing me with a parts list? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

no. that was someone else. i bought mine for like $3 on sale at sports authority.