Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: sigh

The swings in the game are rough. I broke the backslash key on my keyboard, after violently striking the enter key during one of many rebuys yesterday.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:02 PM

I agree. I meant the whole "don't play so I can have a good month" argument makes no sense. Playing after you are down 150BB is -EV for most people for sure.

-Mike
Old 05-29-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to reitirate, I was not thinking "if I am up, i should not play", I pointed out that if I was going to get upset over the fact that I finished lower for the month than I planned...well maybe I shouldnt have played. Everytime I sit down I know it can go either way, thats why we sit down so frequently. But it's a severe shock to the system when you take a hit that represents so much of your monthly earn in one sitting. I am angry at myself for being upset about it, but I also think its inevitable. I am actually perfectly chipper and fine right now, but am frustrated at my May total and my um..lol...win rate. It is super trivial, who cares about month to month numbers they are meaningless. But I like to have things nice and tidy in which case I better figure out how to make up 200bbs or stop obsessing over it. At this point the latter seems easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I apologize for the misunderstanding. It didn't seem like you to stop playing when running well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just think of it as paying for the good run you are about to start!

Krishan
Old 05-29-2005, 05:57 PM

Right there with you man. If I could host an image, I would post some funny PT screen shots for you -- my first 10K hands of the month vs. my second.

Hope you bounce back quicker than I am doing thus far.

Nigel
Old 06-01-2005, 12:47 AM

Default sigh - UPDATE

Just wanted to say that oddly, posting this silly little thing made me feel better. I suppose misery loves company.

Anyway I was so hell bent on finishing May with the number I had prior to the swing that I devoted the rest of the month to recovering it. The next day I played 2k hands and guess what...yup....lost another 100bb. I think at one point the total slide was over 310BBs and finally finished down 250BBs.

I was kind of disgusted watching all my profits vanish into thin air. To make a long story short I am finally back to where I was before the slide started. Although I did come close to knocking over both monitors last night, but all is well. Its just amazing how little 5k means in this game. Of course my win rate is shot again and I am still left wondering how anyone makes over 2bb/100 4tabling this madness.

What is particularly funny, that at 11:30 I was still $100 short and at about 11:50 I was up $100. YaY!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: sigh - UPDATE

[ QUOTE ]
Its just amazing how little 5k means in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have said 3k-4k, but yeah . . . gotta agree. Really, really need to get over feeling down *at all* when I lose $1000 in a night. I mean, I deal with it much better than I used to -- it's just 50BB, after all -- but I absolutely need to get to the point where I can drop this and still sleep like a baby.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:41 AM

that's pretty rough man.

i've been doing rough at 5/10. 15k break even stretch now followed by a 150bb downswing. (and i play about 15k hands a month.)

also i have spent way too much on tournaments and not had good results.

poker does indeed suck.

except for the 10k i made in tourneys and 5k i made at ring games in april :P

how soon we forget..
Old 06-01-2005, 01:47 AM

I just come off a -90BB loss today at 5/10 after 900 hands..... Biggest loss ever for me. I'm not sure I could handle $4000.!!!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: sigh - UPDATE

I really do think its a matter of playing a lot. You play less hands than I and generally ran better, so those kind of swings are not something u were used to. With my crap win rate I get to experience this BS all the time and can now sleep like a baby after a -2k night. -4k though ... well that required a post on 2+2.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:52 AM

hehe, half a year ago I think I cried when I lost 400 in a day. You will be surprised how immune you become to money. It is a little strange and twisted.

btw, billy, NICE tournament results! very impressive, that takes a lot of work for most people to get 10k grinding the 6max games.