Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Some math for the river call.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I didn't expect to get this much conversation. Good discussion.

Some of you think I should fold the river (including milesdyson, whom I routinely see giving very good advice). But I think I need to be in on this river (we'll leave the interesting debate on whether to raise aside for the moment).

Let's say that anyone with a diamond on the flop will call to the river. There are four players on the river. The chance that a diamond was dealt in those eight cards is 82.1%. So, my flush is good 17.9% of the time, more than enough to call getting 15:1. Even if you factor in the smalll likely-hood of a full house, this is enough to call.

Nak

Edit: Not to mention the possibility that diamonds have already been folded, which improves that 17.9% winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually your odds are slightly better since you don't count your own cards in the calculation. However you can't count diamonds folded out in your calculation.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I didn't expect to get this much conversation. Good discussion.

Some of you think I should fold the river (including milesdyson, whom I routinely see giving very good advice). But I think I need to be in on this river (we'll leave the interesting debate on whether to raise aside for the moment).

Let's say that anyone with a diamond on the flop will call to the river. There are four players on the river. The chance that a diamond was dealt in those eight cards is 82.1%. So, my flush is good 17.9% of the time, more than enough to call getting 15:1. Even if you factor in the smalll likely-hood of a full house, this is enough to call.

Nak

Edit: Not to mention the possibility that diamonds have already been folded, which improves that 17.9% winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually your odds are slightly better since you don't count your own cards in the calculation. However you can't count diamonds folded out in your calculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I should have explained my calculation. My calculation takes into account the five diamonds that I can see.

Nak
Old 05-25-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However you can't count diamonds folded out in your calculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you're right, that's why I didn't. It's just a heuristic.

Nak
Old 05-25-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I should have explained my calculation. My calculation takes into account the five diamonds that I can see.

Nak

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, your calculation should calculate what are the chances that one of the six cards you cannot see is a diamond.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nak

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, your calculation should calculate what are the chances that one of the six cards you cannot see is a diamond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooohhhhhhhhhhhhh, I see. Yes, that was a silly mistake, thanks for pointing it out. I redid the calculation. In the six cards there is 71.5% likelyhood of there being a diamond, which means my flush is good 28.5% of the time.

Nak
Old 05-25-2005, 10:22 AM

the problem with that analysis, although correct, is that it kind of needs to be bayesian, in the sense that you need to know the probability of a diamon GIVEN that everyone called the turn and someone new woke up on the river. I think it's very very high. there's also the obscure but significant chance of a boat.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: \"Just call down like a donkey\" Thanks SSHE (No Content)

[ QUOTE ]
holy crap. I am astonished anyone would fold this pf.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-25-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the problem with that analysis, although correct, is that it kind of needs to be bayesian, in the sense that you need to know the probability of a diamon GIVEN that everyone called the turn and someone new woke up on the river. I think it's very very high. there's also the obscure but significant chance of a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, but his bet could mean SO many things. I still don't think it pushes the likelyhood up 93% or whatever, do you? (In this case he had 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) If he were a very tight player, then it might. He is loose and seeing a lot of rivers.

Nak
Old 05-25-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
holy crap. I am astonished anyone would fold this pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-25-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
holy crap. I am astonished anyone would fold this pf. you'd need to knock me unconscious to get those 4s out of my hand before I see a flop here

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this interesting, because up until, well, yesterday I would have folded this... It's funny, though because when I have been folding these pre-flop there's been a nagging in my brain wanting to call it but I talk it down, 'You could call it if you knew it was going to be just two, but you don't know there won't be another raise.'

I certainly didn't have any issue calling them in the blinds.

I wish I could find my SSH.. I think it's time for a refresher.

KO