Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Gun Owners, who has fired at a person?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I would not have changed anything that I did. I just posted the follow up as a point to say, There is a lot more involved than the proverbial Bang Bang go on about your day like you see in the movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

amen brother, my car is worth way more than someones elses (or my own) life. Glad to see you know how to PROTECT yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you are agreeing with me or being cynical, but when he reaches for a gun, it is no longer about my car.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was being cynical.

I completely agree that once he goes for his gun, you did what you had to to do. However (my own personal belief) the situation never should have reached that point.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However (my own personal belief) the situation never should have reached that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

And by that you mean:

a) shouldn't own a gun?
b) shouldn't have brought the gun with him to check?
c) shouldn't have checked the garage?
d) someone shouldn't be trying to steal his car?
Old 05-19-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I would not have changed anything that I did. I just posted the follow up as a point to say, There is a lot more involved than the proverbial Bang Bang go on about your day like you see in the movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

amen brother, my car is worth way more than someones elses (or my own) life. Glad to see you know how to PROTECT yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you are agreeing with me or being cynical, but when he reaches for a gun, it is no longer about my car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was being cynical.

I completely agree that once he goes for his gun, you did what you had to to do. However (my own personal belief) the situation never should have reached that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that is should not have got to that point. But two things didn't happen. #1 I live out in the county and from the Dispatch Office to my house is a good 10 minute drive even with Lights & Sirens for the S.O. and #2 I startled him and he reached and turned, so I never got the chance to give him a verbal command like "Stop you sorry ass mother fucker or I will blow your [censored]' brains out!" or something a little more sweet and friendly.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However (my own personal belief) the situation never should have reached that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

And by that you mean:

a) shouldn't own a gun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im going with C. Call the cops, thats their job.

How about just turning on the garage light from inside the house? That should scare anyone away. Sneaking outside the house and then around to the garage packing heat to suprise someone inside, is just asking to put yourself in a position where something could possibly happen.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you honestly think he could have played it any other way? The only thing I see him doing differently is calling the police before investigating. You do not know what the perps intentions are, and going down armed is completely within his rights. Implying that he chose to value property over life is rediculous.

Catch-
Old 05-19-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any 2+2 killers other than BigSteve?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Wording [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Living, Learning, Killi.. ahh i can't do it, you protected yourself well and i'm sure it was a tough thing to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-19-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1 I live out in the county and from the Dispatch Office to my house is a good 10 minute drive even with Lights & Sirens for the S.O. and #2 I startled him and he reached and turned, so I never got the chance to give him a verbal command like "Stop you sorry ass mother fucker or I will blow your [censored]' brains out!" or something a little more sweet and friendly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess living out in the boonies changes your options.

I know its easy for me to sit here and second guess the whole situation from in front of my computer. But I just hear to many stories like this. Yours is different than most, because you obviously have some form of training with this type of thing. Most people don't tho, and I just think its sad when a life is lost over meaningless property.

Im paraphrsing big time, and Im not sure the source (art of war maybe?) "If you want your opponent to retreat, leave them an avenue to escape". To many people just corner somoeone and then its just kill or be killed.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And by that you mean:

a) shouldn't own a gun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im going with C. Call the cops, thats their job.

How about just turning on the garage light from inside the house? That should scare anyone away. Sneaking outside the house and then around to the garage packing heat to suprise someone inside, is just asking to put yourself in a position where something could possibly happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this ofcourse would be ideal, but I think being put in this situation it would only be natural to think:

a) There's someone on my property who may be trying to gain access to my house, and my life may be in danger

b) if he is trying to gain accesss to my house(and is armed), the police may not arrive in time

c) better get the gun just to be safe

This was a very unfortunate event, but I can't see him playing it any other way.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
#1 I live out in the county and from the Dispatch Office to my house is a good 10 minute drive even with Lights & Sirens for the S.O. and #2 I startled him and he reached and turned, so I never got the chance to give him a verbal command like "Stop you sorry ass mother fucker or I will blow your [censored]' brains out!" or something a little more sweet and friendly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess living out in the boonies changes your options.

I know its easy for me to sit here and second guess the whole situation from in front of my computer. But I just hear to many stories like this. Yours is different than most, because you obviously have some form of training with this type of thing. Most people don't tho, and I just think its sad when a life is lost over meaningless property.

Im paraphrsing big time, and Im not sure the source (art of war maybe?) "If you want your opponent to retreat, leave them an avenue to escape". To many people just corner somoeone and then its just kill or be killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you Alobar, and just for the record my mother was in the house with the 911 dispatcher on the line, it took me about 2-3 minutes to sneak around the house to check out the situation. After he was shot it was about 7 minutes before the first deputy was on scene. And yes, I am firearms certified. I do not recommend going to investigate things that go bump in the night, nor do I think families should build watchtowers and take shifts. There has to be some middle ground however. I know if my father would have been home he probably would have been shot because he would have just opened the kitchen door in to the garage and said "Who the [censored] is out here in my god damn garage?"

Old 05-19-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any 2+2 killers other than BigSteve?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Wording [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Living, Learning, Killi.. ahh i can't do it, you protected yourself well and i'm sure it was a tough thing to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Yeah...Poker and Guns, now you know how I found 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]