Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Four Players who Multitable the $30s at my table

Last time a encouraged (although it was his idea, not mine) a kid (22 is a kid also) to play at a higher level it cost me a case of beer and possibly more, so I'm not going to say anything about this.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last time a encouraged (although it was his idea, not mine) a kid (22 is a kid also) to play at a higher level it cost me a case of beer and possibly more, so I'm not going to say anything about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking forward to my check for a case of Bass, its been a long week of poker & math finals...

p.s. micro you've read a lot of my posts, $30s seems about correct?

bass is good, I enjoy making honest wagers
Old 05-18-2005, 01:32 AM

I probably tend to overestimate people, but seems like you should be significantly better than the average $33'er. How many have you played? Are you doing well?
Old 05-18-2005, 01:35 AM

I'll post after tonight, I've played nearly 400 and my ROI is probably approaching 8% perhaps higher. I'm finally setting in here, so I think
Old 05-18-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing at a table w/ three other players who are playing 2 or more SNGs at the $30s.

Assuming these are winning players, and they are all acting before one after another... do I loosen my calling standards here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry -- at the rate I'm going, I'll be back at the 22s soon. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2005, 01:39 AM

I doubt you are running good at 8%. You could be running bad. But, if that is right where you are at, then you are getting paid to learn.

Scuba could be right for the real short term and making money for Europe. Hell, trying to 12 table the $11s could be better for the short term.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:40 AM

Actually a few days ago someone pushed from LP at my BB just after dropping the brown trout line. I instacalled with AJs. Unfortunately he was stronger than I thought considering the position/stack size and had 77, but I managed to catch an Ace. He was a little shocked that a 2+2er called with AJs and said that it seemed like an easy fold, but I felt against someone who plays the later levels like me it was easy and really expected to see A6 or something.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:53 AM

making looser calls is not exactly the greatest thing you can do. if they ARE good players, they will fold their blinds more, so just ramp up the push agression, and never lay off. dont try to make a 'good call' that puts yerself in a coinflip situation on the bubble. holla
Old 05-18-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
eh....really? gee I didnt know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, then you had your answer already.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Scuba, I respect your opinion. Now, I've decided to play soley the $30s and never move down to improve my game while I'm logging tons of tournaments. If my bankroll requires, I'll move down, not very likely at tihs point. That said do you still think there is good reason to move down? I'd rather take a hit in my ROI and develop as a player than move down.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is not that you are not unable to play the $33s for profit (or even breakeven). My point is that you have some very very short term goals. Furthermore, you're asking questions that help me determine where you are on your learning curve. These are questions that I think are appropriate for the level game you're playing and the learning curve that you're on. You will begin experimenting with YOUR personal style (ie - should I loosen up calling standards?) This will cause variance - and it may not be positive. Furthermore, if it is positive variance, it may not be right.

In short, if your ~ 7 day goal is to maximize $$$/hr, then experimenting with your current strategy might interfere.

My advice to move down is far more dependent on your short term goals and expected success. Take it for what its worth.

If you're running hot ...nevermind.
Good Luck at the tables
Scuba