Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Someone suggested I limp UTG with AQ

[ QUOTE ]
I'd suggest it, too.

Limp it and fold to a raise. AQ is a trouble hand in NL that can quickly become a -EV hand for a lot of people, especially when they're raising it out of position or calling raises with it.

Try to win small pots with this hand.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have NO idea how to do this. If I win a small pot, it's because my opponent folded.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd suggest it, too.

Limp it and fold to a raise. AQ is a trouble hand in NL that can quickly become a -EV hand for a lot of people, especially when they're raising it out of position or calling raises with it.

Try to win small pots with this hand.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have NO idea how to do this. If I win a small pot, it's because my opponent folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start by limping preflop.
Continue by leading out if you hit, not check/raising.
Finish by checking the river if you have one pair.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What do I do if, afterwards, a typical player raises?

[/ QUOTE ]
typically, you fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Jeez, if I had AJs and it was limped to me I'd raise. If I had KQs I'd raise. If I had KJs I'd raise. If I had ATs I'd raise. Well, you get the point. Most players don't need AA,KK,QQ or AK to raise - lol.

You call, use the information. I'd only fold against a rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not a typical player. And you won't win playing like that unless your hand reading is extremely good and/or you're playing against terrible players. Better players will be trapping you and putting you to difficult decisions because you are creating big pots with dominated trash hands. Hands like ATs and KJs are in very poor shape against the typical range of limping hands for a solid EP player.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
typically, you fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Jeez, if I had AJs and it was limped to me I'd raise. If I had KQs I'd raise. If I had KJs I'd raise. If I had ATs I'd raise. Well, you get the point. Most players don't need AA,KK,QQ or AK to raise - lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not a typical player. And you won't win playing like that unless your hand reading is extremely good and/or you're playing against terrible players. Better players will be trapping you and putting you to difficult decisions because you are creating big pots with dominated trash hands. Hands like ATs and KJs are in very poor shape against the typical range of limping hands for a solid EP player.

[/ QUOTE ]
What? This is honestly the most weak-tight post I have ever seen from you. Most solid players do NOT limp UTG with hands that dominate KQs. And for 6m, this guy's LP raising standards DO seem fairly typical. Which is why if you limp AQ UTG you should call a late position raise. You are the one trapping the late position player who is raising light. Exactly as you said. People will raise KQ in late position so you must call in EP with AQ and trap them. The only reason to limp AQ UTG, IMO, is to call a late position raise. If you're going to fold to a raise, just raise yourself. It's ridiculous to not want to play AQ UTG even if it can be hard to play when you flop TPQK or TPTK OOP. It is a profitable, if difficult, situation.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
typically, you fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What? This is honestly the most weak-tight post I have ever seen from you. Most solid players do NOT limp UTG with hands that dominate KQs. And for 6m, this guy's LP raising standards DO seem fairly typical. Which is why if you limp AQ UTG you should call a late position raise. You are the one trapping the late position player who is raising light. Exactly as you said. People will raise KQ in late position so you must call in EP with AQ and trap them. The only reason to limp AQ UTG, IMO, is to call a late position raise. If you're going to fold to a raise, just raise yourself. It's ridiculous to not want to play AQ UTG even if it can be hard to play when you flop TPQK or TPTK OOP. It is a profitable, if difficult, situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about full ring in this post. Sorry I didn't specify that. Adam's aware of this, but I don't know about everyone else. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Sweet use of TPQK. Currently I use TPTK, TPGK, TPMK, TPBK, and sometimes TPNK. (Good, medium, bad, no-)

I may incorporate this into my notes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--Dave.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:44 AM

This thread has nothing to do with six-max, and if you're raising EP limpers with AT and KJ then you are doing it to try to steal the pot, because solid EP limpers have those hands beaten just about always. You think decent players are going to be limping in EP with A9 and KT with any frequency?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread has nothing to do with six-max, and if you're raising EP limpers with AT and KJ then you are doing it to try to steal the pot, because solid EP limpers have those hands beaten just about always. You think decent players are going to be limping in EP with A9 and KT with any frequency?

[/ QUOTE ]
How about 88 and JTs? And someone else mentioned 6m so I wasn't sure which was being talked about. But people will raise light in late position full ring, too.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Sweet use of TPQK. Currently I use TPTK, TPGK, TPMK, TPBK, and sometimes TPNK. (Good, medium, bad, no-)

I may incorporate this into my notes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hijack: You may want to consider TP2K ('2' meaning 2nd), as 'Q' could be 2nd or 3rd kicker, depending. I use TPTK, TP2K, TPmK, TPwK, and TPnK (no kicker). The last three are used somewhat interchangeably.