Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: AK preflop debate

4 opponents in the pot, this is a 3bet preflop and it's not even close.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:50 PM

What the others said.
Also, you still need to punish UTG for raising, and you definitely need to punish the field for cold-calling. UTG raising with crap needs to be put in his place by your monster hand. Cold-calling two in three places also figures to be a gigantic error. It needs to be punished, and you've got the goods to do it. You want the cold-callers to be wary of you, because cold-callers often make you blind defence harder or impossible. Let them cold call you, not the other guys.
Also, if you want to re-raise AA and KK in this spot, you need to add at least AK, otherwise you might eventually get too much respect on your BB three-bets and caps (fortunately, thats not too likely)
Old 04-25-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The other thinks you should just call in order to not inflate the pot and give the field the chance to correctly call bets on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

who cares what odds your are giving the field? as long as you have an equity edge, i could care less if they "correctly call bets." a dumbed down example would be that you have a holding that figures to win 80% of the time, there are 20 bets in the pot, you must bet there. even though they have the odds to make the call, and arent "making a mistake" you are still making a killing on every bet that goes into the pot. controlling pot size is an over-rated concept...the game is hard enough as it is, dont waste your time trying to control pot size. think about equity and raise for value, like everyone else already said.

-mike
Old 04-25-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3bet for value. i would cap for value.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's a post where Peter_rus mentions that in the 15/30 game, for him, capping AKo pf is not profitable. There's a lot of math/analysis in that thread (about a lot of things). (I guess that is redundant having said it is one of Peter_rus' threads.)
Old 04-25-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a post where Peter_rus mentions that in the 15/30 game, for him, capping AKo pf is not profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is a great thread. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if capping AKo is unprofitable at a full table, but is profitable at a 6 max table.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:06 PM

thanks, i will check that link out. i do much prefer cappin AK in position than out of position, but that is kinda stateing the obvious.

i could see AK being more capworthy short handed, but that is without any analysis.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This much I understand, but by building the pot OOP, it also makes it impossible for them to make a mistake, which is ultimately your goal, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
Paying three bets to see the flop with whatever hands they have is almost certainly a mistake. You aren't making it "impossible" for them to make a mistake; you are guaranteeing that they have made one.