Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Midlimit floaters

[ QUOTE ]
How?. I can see the mixing value, ie. it allows you to play hands that, really you shouldn't be playing, but don't you just lose too much by not 3-betting preflop with AA, KK?.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really. in multiway pots this would be the case, but HU it isn't the case because you're talking about 1 extra sb as opposed to the extra sb's or bb's you can make up postflop.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this part of the crux of the problem?. By not 3-betting (one more bet), you are exposing yourself to losing the pot to the blinds that wouldn't be there had you 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats not neccessarily true. how about the times you allow the blinds to come in with dominated hands, or hands that will be drawing thin against you as well? you're underestimating the power of AA in short handed pots. granted you will get sucked out on from time to time, but between that and the extra bets you could make postflop against weaker hands its neutral at worst. i'm not saying i coldcall AA here all the time, but to call it horrible is overstating it.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:30 PM

I don't know man. When I have the best hand, and you want to draw against me, my duty is to make you pay the maximum, that's the way I see it. I'm probably wrong in extracting the maximum $, but I'm not convinced enough to change my ways. Also there is no guarantee that the blinds will fold either. If they are in my hand, they also pay full ticket.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:07 PM

This is a really oversimplified way of looking at it. What you should be thinking about is whether or not the percentage win you sacrifice by letting the blinds in is made up for by the mistakes you will cause the blinds to make later in the hand.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know man. When I have the best hand, and you want to draw against me, my duty is to make you pay the maximum, that's the way I see it. I'm probably wrong in extracting the maximum $, but I'm not convinced enough to change my ways. Also there is no guarantee that the blinds will fold either. If they are in my hand, they also pay full ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

The play that extracts the maximum amount preflop is not necessarily the same as the play that extracts the maximum throughout the whole hand. Furthermore, the play that extracts the maximum on one hand is not always the play that will extract the maximum on all subsequent hands.

I think that once you reach a certain level of competition, you MUST randomize your play. Often this means accepting slightly less EV on a particular hand in order to increase your overall EV. So to say that there are certain hands where you should always 3 bet is not always true, depending on your competition. Some of the time you should three bet, and some of the time you should not.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:52 PM

I think that most of the first in cold callers you see at midlimits are just making bad plays. There are tons of guys in the 40-80 through 150-300 games who are experienced and play decent postflop, but play like donks preflop. I think that almost all the money I make in these games comes from preflop mistakes by my opponents, because I don't think I'm really outplaying them postflop.
The other reason people might cold call first in preflop is because they know they have loose cold callers behind them. If a strong player open raises I might cold call with a hand like AQs if there are 2 guys behind me who are just dying to call with KJo.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that most of the first in cold callers you see at midlimits are just making bad plays. There are tons of guys in the 40-80 through 150-300 games who are experienced and play decent postflop, but play like donks preflop. I think that almost all the money I make in these games comes from preflop mistakes by my opponents, because I don't think I'm really outplaying them postflop.
The other reason people might cold call first in preflop is because they know they have loose cold callers behind them. If a strong player open raises I might cold call with a hand like AQs if there are 2 guys behind me who are just dying to call with KJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're basically saying that the same tight preflop strategy works in these bigger games as long as you are decent postflop?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So you're basically saying that the same tight preflop strategy works in these bigger games as long as you are decent postflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that even though some of these players play better than me postflop, they just give up too much preflop to beat me in the long run.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:58 AM

Default yea from what i read

i think it was from cloutier(unsure)? he said he will cc w/ jj sometimes? how often i dont know, since he wants to see the flop first to see if over cards flop, then use ur judgement on if he could have a bigger pair and play accordingly
Old 04-18-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: yea from what i read

[ QUOTE ]
i think it was from cloutier(unsure)? he said he will cc w/ jj sometimes? how often i dont know, since he wants to see the flop first to see if over cards flop, then use ur judgement on if he could have a bigger pair and play accordingly

[/ QUOTE ]

NL is much different