Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: check JJ in BB 1/2 Stars

i'm not lookign for set rules by any means... i've been playing poker for a long time now and know that nothign applys 100% of the time. and yes... AA vs. 9 hands is a bigger ROI.... however... this only apply if you have a limitless bankroll...
Old 03-14-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey... i'm wondering what people like to do with a mid-high pair in the BB my thoughts were in micro limit my bet isn't getting anyone to fold and any overcard to my JJ doesn't look good... so i dislike most flops. and if i hit a set i'll get paid off more if i dont' show strength preflop. therefore i check JJ in the BB. anyone play this for a raise and if so can i heard your thoughts.

thanks
Gerard

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the easiest raise in the world. variance sucks, but not as much as missing EV. raise raise raise.

RAISE THE JACKS IN THE SB OR BB
Old 03-14-2005, 01:02 AM

Well, that would be 3 overcards. Which, for JJ, would be a scary board indeed.

Incidentally, my response was an attempt to address you're lack of satisfaction with earlier replies. I was entirely serious and in no way was I saying "raise because you're supposed to." Miles obviously said it a hell of a lot better, but I was suggesting (or attempting to suggest) the same thing: You're hand is probably best. Don't understand your hostility to my post.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't see how this isn't debatable... what are the odds of the board having no overcard? Do you not agree that you get more of a pay off if you check and hit your set? what is raising doing? only building a pot which unless you hit a set or a lucky 10 high board is often not going to be yours. you will not get anyone to fold here. side note... i'm talking with 3+limpers... i agree with one or two limpers i'm raising... however with 4+ u have to expect QK and A to be out there. i want to hear more then this is +EV... why do u say that? what are your reasons for the raise...

i am not saying i'm right but i'm not going to agree with such a empty statement such as it's not debatable...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd much rather have all the trash ppl limped in with have to pay another bet. If you have 58s, and limp in the CO, do you really want to have to pay another bet to see the flop?

With JJ preflop, u have a big edge over random trash, and you should raise. Even if you raise, and you hit your set, if an overcard hits a fish, they won't fold.

Just raise, and if you are worried about overcards, learn how to play post flop.

For what it's worth, I've raised JJ from the BB with 5 limpers. So 12SB to the flop. It was AK3. I check folded. If the flop is really scary, just get out. It's hard to make up the extra bets you get in preflop. Trust me.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do u raise with TT and AK from the BB ?

[/ QUOTE ]

In an unraised pot, everytime. In a raised pot, it depends on the action.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious that an overcard isn't likely to help someone when there are 4+limpers? i bet well over 75% of the time you're up against a AKQ between all 4+ players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like weak/tight to me
Old 03-14-2005, 02:31 AM

i wasn't trying to be an ass to you... just saying that i can't change my mind without something more then just being told... u know what i mean? i want a reason not just an answer. and i have no doubt it the fact that's it's almost always the best hand when it hasn't been raised... but you dont' always bet out with the best hand either
Old 03-14-2005, 02:35 AM

how low of a PP do u raise with on the BB in an unraised pot?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:04 AM

Great link. Thanks for posting it.

Some good stuff with some of the best posters on these boards.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do u raise with TT and AK from the BB ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes