Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: 99 on the button...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok.... you raise for sure here on the turn. FOR SURE! I think you lost a lot of value on raising on the flop as it was, but since you didn't, you have to raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising the flop isn't nearly as good as waiting to raise the turn here. I won't say it's bad, but it's not as good as waiting. That should be clear.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed with that. I'm raising for value if UTG bets a blank, but now that MP is raising a flush card I might have to take this opportunity to protect my hand. the T, and J of hearts are probably folding here, in addition to pretty much all non heart overcards. with me in late position, it's nice because I get to decide whether to value bet or take the free showdown depending, or even fold. I think we have to call a 3 bet on the turn as I think Shillx mentioned. but in a passive game protecting > -EV of getting 3 bet here, IMO.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:12 PM

This is a great read for anyone wondering when to curb aggression, and when to show it.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:16 PM

From the first post, I immediately concluded that I would raise since the flop raiser checked through on the turn. If I face a reraise, I call a 3-bet and check/fold UI on the river.

FWIW, I play this the same.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: 99 on the button...CLARIFICATION PLEASE

So, the key is not that raising the flop is -EV. It is still +EV, but your pot equity edge is small. And if you raise the flop, you are more likely to be checked to on the turn, where (if a blank falls) you pot equity edge is much larger, making a turn raise much greater +EV. So, call the flop so you CAN raise the turn.

Is this correct?
Old 03-18-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, the key is not that raising the flop is -EV. It is still +EV, but your pot equity edge is small. And if you raise the flop, you are more likely to be checked to on the turn, where (if a blank falls) you pot equity edge is much larger, making a turn raise much greater +EV. So, call the flop so you CAN raise the turn.

Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, raising the flop is quite likely +EV.. but maybe not by too much. we aren't auto raising the turn.. we're simply reevaluating.

we have good relative position to accomplish a few things. we get to see the turn card and the entire field act before we do. if a card comes and we're facing a raise.. easy easy fold from a likely slowplayed 6, new higher pair, flush, etc. the 9 takes away some of the straight concerns tho.. if a 7 drops and we face a raise, we probably can't fold.

another thing we can accomplish is protecting our hand. the flop bettor will not always bet, so we may get to raise a new bettor as we are suggesting here.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, raising the flop is quite likely +EV.. but maybe not by too much. we aren't auto raising the turn.. we're simply reevaluating.

we have good relative position to accomplish a few things. we get to see the turn card and the entire field act before we do. if a card comes and we're facing a raise.. easy easy fold from a likely slowplayed 6, new higher pair, flush, etc. the 9 takes away some of the straight concerns tho.. if a 7 drops and we face a raise, we probably can't fold.

another thing we can accomplish is protecting our hand. the flop bettor will not always bet, so we may get to raise a new bettor as we are suggesting here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks bt!