Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Official NL Open Internet Challenge - Week 1

Well heres my story,

I built my $50 into $100 within 55 hands.

Forgetting I'm playing deeper stacks and I'm not at Party I then turn my $100 back into $50 in just 17 hands. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Start - $50
Now - $53
Hours played - 0.97
Old 02-15-2005, 07:26 AM

Well I didn't learn my lesson at 4 am, and now at 6 am I'm down to a measly $29.05. Hopefully I can grind it back tomorrow. I played [censored] retarded tonight. Here's to hoping I'm not the first one to bust out of this thing. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

UPDATE! During the typing of this a hand occurred, and get this.. I won!

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) converter

UTG ($54.05)
UTG+1 ($21.95)
MP1 ($44.60)
MP2 ($17.25)
CO ($4.50)
Button ($4.30)
SB ($24.50)
BB ($12.05)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $1.90, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Ruso329 bets $6</font>, SB calls $6, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($16.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $10</font>, Ruso329 calls $9.25 (all-in).

River: ($26.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $26.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP2 has Ac Qh (one pair, aces).
SB has Ah 3d (one pair, aces).
Outcome: MP2 wins $26.50. </font>

Back to where I started...

Day's results: -$10.75
OIC Bankroll: $50.00
Hands played/Total: 242/321
Time played/Total: 4h 39m/6h 9m
Level: .10/.25 - $25
Old 02-15-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh! One thing. Multitabling is not prohibited, but it is not encouraged either. I think this is something that should be done single-tabling. As for me I'm down to $41.15. That's what I get for playing at 4 am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I get to the 1/2 level I will go single table.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:43 AM

Sorry, I don't really understand the challenge... It just seems like a way to go broke?

I guess this isn't in the spirit of the competition, but if I get on a hot streak and run my $50 up to $1k, I don't see much of a point in gambling with it in a $2-5 game. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I would rather add it to my roll, as it would probably help me move up in limits and then increase my hourly rate.

Why not make a challenge that is BR building friendly? Everyone start with $125 (5 buy ins) and see who can run it up the fastest? You can take risks if you want, etc.

Anywho, sorry, but I'm a nit who has been felted before. I don't want others to have to go through it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2005, 11:06 AM

I'm going to hop on this wagon. I think it will finally force me to grow some balls and play the 5/10 game after I build up a $2000 "fake roll" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

To answer your question pfunk taking risks at higher levels, well, is risky but is also a great way to build a roll up and take stabs at a larger game where you can make money a lot faster (obviously the reverse is true).
Old 02-15-2005, 11:08 AM

For a lot of people doing this, we're using secondary bankrolls. The idea is not to worry about going broke and maybe parlay a huge payday. If you go broke, so be it. I think most of the people on this board probably have money on a bunch of different sites, for example I started doing this with the free $10 from royal vegas instead of touching my rolls at other sites. Sponger put money into party just for this purpose. I'm playing one table at royal vegas doing the challenge while I play a couple others at empire. I think it's pretty fun actually, especially since if I have a good run of cards I could seriously make a lot of money and if I don't I didn't invest anything to begin with.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:56 AM

The spirit of the OIC (at limit anyway) is that it is a way to play in higher limits (ok underfunded) without dipping into your bankroll ie if you run $50 up to $1k then your investment has been $50 so in a way its less to lose. Also the rule always is that you can stop at anytime, so if you think yeah 1k is great I dont want to risk this then stop.

Its really a bit of fun and another way of freshening things up for some of the grinders.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The spirit of the OIC (at limit anyway) is that it is a way to play in higher limits (ok underfunded) without dipping into your bankroll ie if you run $50 up to $1k then your investment has been $50 so in a way its less to lose. Also the rule always is that you can stop at anytime, so if you think yeah 1k is great I dont want to risk this then stop.

Its really a bit of fun and another way of freshening things up for some of the grinders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just take your last $1-2k and hop in a bigger game and take a shot? It is essentially what you are doing. Your "investment" is not just $50... This is a scary lack of basic gambling concepts.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:02 PM

Okay thatpfunk, let me explain the purpose of this challenge.

Currently I have a bankroll of $575. I play $25, so that's 23 buy-ins. I like to think I am sufficiently rolled for the game that I play and I think most if not all of 2+2 will agree with me.

Now, I've never played any stakes other than $25 NL. I'm not going to risk losing a large portion of my bankroll either playing 1/2 NL just because I'd like to see how the action is and how I fare, but I would like to play at these limits eventually.

So, I'm taking the usual route and grinding out a few buy-ins here and there and steadily increasing my total bankroll (by the way, my original bankroll started as $10. Yes I was an underrolled, lucky noob). When I get $2k in my overall bankroll I will move up to .50/1, etc.

Now, the point of this challenge is to take a break from that grind. By setting aside $50, a small portion of my bankroll that I can afford to lose, I can take this money and take a shot at higher limits that I normally would have to wait months before I could have the bankroll to afford them.

Now, if I lose this money, so be it. This is not suppose to be a way to make a quick buck or build a bankroll in a short amount of time. This is not a 72 hour challenge or anything, there is no time limit. But, if I do happen to make $1,000 or $2,000 I can quit the challenge proud that I did survive the higher limits, and what do you know it, I've got a much larger bankroll now. Nice little byproduct if you ask me.

If you cannot afford to lose $50 then this challenge is certainly not for you and I don't suggest you try this or use it as a way to make a lot of money. It is merely so low limit players can take legitimate stabs at higher stakes games.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you cannot afford to lose $50 then this challenge is certainly not for you and I don't suggest you try this or use it as a way to make a lot of money. It is merely so low limit players can take legitimate stabs at higher stakes games.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't really call it a legitimate stab as being under bankrolled doesn't allow you that. That said, I don't see the big problem with this for just it's entertainment value. We played in the 2+2 NL games a few weeks ago and never really gave that a second thought. I would think this is not anymore -EV than that. lol

Later,
Rick