Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: New nasty plastic chips (Borgata, et al) WHY?

[ QUOTE ]
I know that there's a metal slug inside, but I don't think it's a magnet. Actually, I have a Borgata chip right here. I can't feel any attractive force to my steel desk. Also, if they were magnets, they'd push the opposite way on other magnets when you flip them, and they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any Borgata chips out here, but I was in the "it's suction" camp until December. Somebody complained about the chips while a floorperson was nearby, and I said that it wasn't a magnet, just suction. He said that no, it was actually a magnet, pulled a damaged chip out of the dealer's rack, broke it, and pulled out the slug, which he claimed was a weak magnet.

That being said, you guys are definitely right about the surface milling being responsible for most of the really irritating chip-clumping, especially since it's much worse if the chips get slightly wet.

My bad.

scrub
Old 02-08-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've heard speculation that the chips are magnetized from being banged together so often. Doesn't make sense...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that you can, in fact, magnetize a metal rod by banging it just so on the ground. It is very difficult to do. I doubt this is why these chips have some magnet-like tendencies.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would guess that the Borg chips aren't magnetic on purpose, but that the metal inserts do actually pick it up over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked the floor on my very first visit to the Borg. He said the magnets were to keep the chips lined up when bet. Take four chips in a stack and nock them over. They line up neatly thanks to the magnets.

I have however noticed that the magnetic properties of the chips are not as strong as they were last January (Red & White is all I have tried) when I first visited the Borg. Perhaps its just my imagination, perhaps not.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But then, I guess it is pretty easy to calculate the expectation of moving to these cheaper chips over time...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said they were cheaper? I managed to sell a few of them off for just as much as my scandia chips. I doubt the price difference, if it even favors these chips, is less than 20c/chip.