Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Do I suck or am I just running badly? I submit that i suck :(

[ QUOTE ]
What would you estimate my posistional VPIP should be, as it seems that i'm probably NOT taking enough advantage of posistion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea, too game-play and opponent specific. Just learn to love the CO and Button.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:56 PM

BTW, thank you very much for your insight. This has turned into an incredibly valuable post for me, and i'm sure for many others. It's getting added to the must read list for noobies [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saving $$ when behind counts the same as winning extra when ahead especially when, as rory points out here, you win the same when ahead... . <font color="brown">You don't have to be the most aggressive player on the table to win the most, thrust and parry, advance and consolidate.</font> Perhaps I should read "The Art of War" and get some decent quotes...

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this paragraph. We sometimes worship at the altar of aggression here in HUSH land. Aggression is good a times. Unreasoned aggression allows better players to take advantage.

One can liken this philosphy to martial arts. Sometimes you let your opponent do your work.

When I am playing someone who cannot figure out why I am calling, I take advantage. This "passive aggression" does not work against better players. Sometimes you can win more in a hand by calling than raising. I often call on the flop and raise the turn when in such a situation (rather challenge the bettor with 1 BB than .5 BB).

The key here is in understanding what your opponent likely is doing and playing your opponent, not your hand. Unabashed aggression is 1st level thinking. The best players get to 2nd and 3rd level thinking - worth at least 1 BB/100.

When I am running bad I often am not concentrating enough on my opponents. When I run good, I often have a good idea of what they have, just from their betting patterns.

I hope this helps a bit.

Let me add this quote:

[ QUOTE ]
Aikido focuses not on punching or kicking opponents, but rather on using their own energy to gain control of them or to throw them away from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

When confronted with the overaggressive opponent - this philosophy allows one to use that opponent's energy.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do not be tempted to always 3-bet a CR with TPTK when the board is 2-suited, they are not always on the flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should never do this, heads-up. The reason why is that the guy will bluff the river too almost all of the time, so you win 3BB if he hits and 3BB if he doesn't hit, two on the turn and one on the river. If you 3-bet the turn, however you win 3BB if he misses but you can lose 4BB or more if he hits, because you will either get check raised or he will bet out and you will call or whatever. So don't 3-bet the turn heads up anymore if you think your opponent is on a flush draw. Just call and call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a generalisation, I find players who I will 3-bet this turn against often because they will spew chips whilst I am still a favourite. Others will call a 3-bet then bluff on the river even when they miss. I would certainly mostly not 3-bet but the cituation arises I feel atleast once or twice a session where I see the opportunity to 3-bet the turn.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:06 PM

fully agreed with everyone who is raving about the quality of this post.
terrific stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
On a downswing of this magnitude, it is easy to do the following:

(1) Become more aggressive on the Flop &amp; Turn with hands like TP or 2nd-pair GK, trying to force out players who you know will either (i) not fold anyway, or (ii) will be drawing live or are ahead.

(2) Call down too often, simply not believing you can keep losing with your premium hands that hit the flop. They must be bluffing some of the time..

[/ QUOTE ]

I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop reading my mind when I'm playing! Thanks.