Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Moving to Washington DC

[ QUOTE ]
If you are working on CapHill you should live downtown. As Cubs said, look for a group house to save $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. If you live across the Potomac, your 3-mile commute will be 45 minutes minimum (by metro).

-2kF
Old 01-26-2005, 03:35 AM

I live in Arlington and it's an awesome place to live for young people. Good nightlife, good bar scenes.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:00 AM

Didn't think I'd see this thread dug up after I started it. I just got back from DC and I must say the area was beautiful with the new-fallen snow on Sunday Morning, despite the bitter cold. I got a 1 bedroom place in Arlington for a little more than I wanted to pay at first, but I was expecting to move into a studio/efficiency. However, the year lease I signed was less than I expected to pay when the girlfriend/maybe soon-to-be fiancee moves back with me in June after finishing her teaching school.

You 2+2'ers would be proud: I asked to have a couple of minutes and did a complete EV analysis of the situation and it was clearly +EV as it would be hard to get a decent return on investment with the 150-250/month I would be saving in an efficiency. Plus, the Bank of Mom offered finance my move interest free.

I'll be living in Arlington, specifically Crystal City, for the next 12 months at 1150/month and the girlfriend gets a $700 gift certificate to Pottery Barn. I'll have an extremely short commute with a 3 minute underground walk to the metro, and a 10 second walk (no joke) from Union Station with only one transfer in between. I move back Feb. 3 and I can't wait!

Edit: Forgot to add that I seriously considered NW DC, but I figured I'd be better off waiting for the second income from the girlfriend plus a planned one-year promotion before looking in the parts of the district I would want to live in (Adams Morgan, Cleveland Park, and other areas west thereof)