Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Do I just suck at limit ring games?

You're the rockiest rock of tightness there is. Even if you only consider early position. Early position raising hands are something like 99-AA, AKs, AKo, AQs, AQo, AJs, AJo, ATs. Don't get me started on how many hands are possible in late position, especially when opening.

Do you see why you need to do a lot of studying if you are this flawed preflop?
Old 01-07-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I completely understand downswings are a part of this game, I have awful downswings with SNGs all the time and just play through them. The reason I posted about this is because I don't play much ring HE and am looking to plug any major leaks I have early. I don't have much desire to learn to beat 1/2 ring for much, as I do well with SNGs and don't particularly care for ring anyway. Just trying to keep as much of my bonus as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

how are we supposed to help you plug leaks when we have no earthly idea how you play your hands? preflop play is simply a foundation to build upon...a terrific player can play much looser before the flop than than the average joe. you ask in your original post whether you just suck at limit, then list a couple no-brainer preflop raising hands. put it this way, if you are sticking to such a small range of hands preflop to raise with, and the rest of your game is just as predictable...yeah, you would be easy to beat in ring play.

cheers!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:48 PM

Wow, guess I have been playing way too tight if that is true. Guess I've been WAY too used to SNG early play where you want to raise only very premium hands.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No high PPs are holding for me, people with ridiculous hands are winning pots left and right, maybe I'm just not cut out for ring low-limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

as i said before, when you realize why this statement is flawed, you'll be a whole lot better for it.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and the rest of your game is just as predictable...yeah, you would be easy to beat in ring play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I came looking for advice, and I've already gotten some good advice, thanks. But as far as the above statement, while that may be true to someone that KNOWS I'm predictable, the vast vast majority of players on PP don't pay attention that much do they? I would think very very few players actually make notes about other players and adjust much at all.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:51 PM

I would imagine the "people with ridiculous hands" shouldn't be in the hand to win, but how else can you get them out other than getting money in every chance you have? Do you mean something else?
Old 01-07-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, guess I have been playing way too tight if that is true. Guess I've been WAY too used to SNG early play where you want to raise only very premium hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Also, if you like the tourneys so much, don't bother with the bonus; just because it's there doesn't mean you have to do it. Buy PT and read SSHE if you want to improve at the ring games.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and the rest of your game is just as predictable...yeah, you would be easy to beat in ring play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I came looking for advice, and I've already gotten some good advice, thanks. But as far as the above statement, while that may be true to someone that KNOWS I'm predictable, the vast vast majority of players on PP don't pay attention that much do they? I would think very very few players actually make notes about other players and adjust much at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are probably correct in your assumption, but a good player...there is always 1 or 2 at your table...will eat you alive.

cheers!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:59 PM

Don't bother with the bonuses? I've been 4-tabling $20 SNGs for about a $20/hr rate. I can get a $100 bonus, roll it over in 3 hours, that's $33/hr assuming I don't lose any, and say I do lose some I can still lose all the way up to $40 and still make the same hourly rate as SNGs, and it offers a nice break (for a SNG downswing like I'm experiencing now, breaks are really nice).
Old 01-07-2005, 07:00 PM

what i mean is that the impression i got from your post is that you played a couple thousand hands and weren't satisfied with your results and seem to be ranting a bit.

people with ridiculous hands winning is a classic steaming comment, like "how could you call my raise with JTo?" but realize that you BENEFIT when ridiculous hands are in there with you when you have AA and KK and such.

also you're too tight/passive preflop. JJ and TT are auto-raises from any position. as are AK-ATs, AQo, KQs, KJs, and usually AJo and KQo. this may seem to be a lot of chip spewing especailly if you have a deep SNG background, but in limit hold'em, it's all about the theoretical dollars you're winning with every edge you can push. the results will take care of themselves.