Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: My new favorite play (loose 5-5 NL)

I only play at PS but will maybe branch out shortly. the 5-5 there can be very good but there are a few dangerous players and the game plays deep (the other week I was by far the shortest stack with 1k). also, the game can be tight depending on the lineup.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:52 PM

it's threads like these that make me wish I still lived in New York.....
Old 01-04-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I wonder if any of us have played together.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure we have. I've only nailed for certain one 2+2'er at a NY club (although I didn't let on that I knew who he was). Of course he wasn't even old enough to be there (hint, hint).

I've never been to APC but should check it out because it is closer to my house than some of those other places.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but why are you raising limpers out of the pot with a drawing hand. You want them in case the flops hit you hard, you need hands to pay you off. I dont understand trying to isolate with 69 suited. Maybe you had a reason i'm not thinking of?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not trying to raise limpers out of the pot with a drawing hand. I was trying to build the pot. The texture of this game was such that players would call a $30 bet once they limped in although they would not make that bet themselves. Also, if one or two of the blinds had just called I am sure that would set off a chain reaction and everyone would call.

Also, 69s is my Shania hand and I always play it strong.

OK, sorry for bringing my thread back to the origional point. Do any other twoplustwoers play at APC? From what I have seen I would not think that a single one of you has played at a table with me over the past 3 days...
Old 01-05-2005, 09:48 AM

Yeah, it seemed obvious to me that you were just trying to build a pot with position by raising. Nobody in those games folds once they have limped. Except me.

I have never played at APC, just PS. Wow, I love these little code words.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:56 AM

I have played at APC, but not recently. I play 5/5 mostly at NYPC. At NYPC, there are definitely a handful of players to watch out for but the game is usually good. My understanding is that the buy-in is not capped at PS as it is at APC ($500) and NYPC ($600)... am I correct?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:06 AM

PS is not capped. I also agree with posters above that the game there (particularly the pot limit) is the toughest game of any of the ones mentioned.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:55 AM

the old pot limit game is now 5-5 NL, even though everyone claims to prefer PL, and there is no cap. I didn't know the buyin was capped at APC/NYPC, I hate capped buyin games [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. why do they need to cap a 5-5 game?

--turnipmonster
Old 01-05-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why do they need to cap a 5-5 game?

[/ QUOTE ]

The same reason they cap a 1-2 game... the same reason why the games are capped online... it is better for customer relations, the fish last longer, etc. It is my understanding that cash NL games were basically dead (or at least difficult to find) before the idea of capped buy-ins became popular. Now they are the biggest thing in town.

I have heard that at NYPC the cap is sometimes lifted (and the blinds raised) in the wee hours of the morning by mutual agreement of the remaining players...
Old 01-05-2005, 11:23 AM

the PS 5-5 game has been running for YEARS uncapped. I am all for capped small stakes games because it makes people psycologically more comfortable, but at mid stakes NL games people that feel they need a capped buyin aren't going to last long period. there's no point to it other than preventing people from rebuying to cover.

--turnipmonster