Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 11:14 AM

Default Re: How bad a downswing before...

Excellent reply. I really liked your doctor friend's example.
I agree, that the most dangerous aspect is the loss of confidence which can really destroy your game.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend who is a doctor and poker player says that going through his first major downswing in poker was like going through his first series of terminally ill patients which he could not absolutely nothing to save their lives. He hated it. But gradually he accepted it

[/ QUOTE ]

Remind me never to go to your doctor-friend.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remind me never to go to your doctor-friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what terminally ill means?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:10 PM

Kenny,

i thought you were solider than that!

If you're going to try to mock me, at least use proper grammar. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

GoT
Old 10-07-2004, 12:59 PM

I just went through something similar. I just got pounded for a week straight. Big pairs vs. bigger pairs (I counted 4 instances of QQ v. KK, which was funny), clowns hitting 2 outers, whatever.

My suggestion: Review your play. You're going to learn 1 of two things. You're not playing as well as you could, or you really are just getting the shaft (which happens).

Of the 2,000 hands I played over this run (which is a lot for me personally in a week. I know it's not a lot in the grand scheme or in relations to some of the 4-table, 6-max superstars...), I sorted the list by most money lost, descending (god, I love Poker Tracker). I went through each hand in the re-player with win % turned on. There were a few hands where I was just doomed (QQ v. KK, where the KK guy just check-calls from the flop on, so you have no idea you're beat), but mostly where I played "right" and just didn't win.

I knew it would pass, and I knew I was at the right level because the losses stung but didn't make me want to curl up and die. Every time I took a beat, I blew out a big breath, ran my hands through my hair, shook my head, and played on.

It finally broke last night when I snaked out a 40 BB win in 2+ hours. I didn't do much differently, just had the same hands hold up.

Funniest hand of the downswing: I raise KK UTG, couple of callers, specifically the CO. Hand plays out with me betting and getting callers all the way down. River, CO raises. I call, and he shows 82o, having hit runner-runner 8-2 for his two pair.

The funny: His screenname was "RaymerCT". Obviously not Greg, but it made me chuckle.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:53 PM

Here is my advice, No Limit Hold'em baby
Old 10-07-2004, 11:46 PM

Currently down 50+BB. 50 or more BB losing streaks seems to happen every other week to me. However, I was up 500BB last week, so I guess these thing work themselves out. Personal longest losing streak is at least 200+BB.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:24 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Remind me again why i would want you on my table at mucks?

I just hit -150BB tonight. Woo Hoo!!!

b
Old 10-08-2004, 01:18 AM

black = bankroll
yellow = neteller
blue = daily high
red = daily low

The neon green is me going on a 9.5 buyin downswing the only days I've ever played at UltimateBet.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:51 AM

Default Part of the game

Im currently in a losing streak that as of tonight has wiped my bankroll out. Five losing sessions in a row for around $500 each. (NL) The part that makes it the worst is on each big pot I lost I was going into the river 80% or better to win. The worst was when the guy caught a two outer. No details to the hands and none of them were really "bad beats" cause it does not matter. All that matters is the % and long term stats. I would not have changed a single way that I have played any hand this week. Every one has to get lucky and draw out or else the game would not survive. Sucks to drop your bankroll to a bunch of guys that didnt have a clue but oh well. What can you do. I dont have the desire to drop down and build it back up so I will take a break till I can scratch up some $ to sit down again. These are the best times to evaluate and study the game. I always come back stronger after a bad downswing.
You made the comment that you dont see the end. Thats because it never ends. It will happen on and off again your whole poker life. You and I just have to work through it. Builds character. Take a break and figure out whats going on. Usually its something your doing wrong. Sometimes its just getting drawn out on. Cream rises to the top.