Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2004, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Can God....

David as usual u r not quite correct. You see, to prove mathematicaaly that there is no integer solution to your question one must use a "new" form of mathematics. This "new" mathematics was only recently discovered and employed to prove Fermat's equation. Given that man is capable of creating new mathematics to solve his seemingly impossible math problems the obvious religious answer to your question is as follows. When God wants there to be a positive integer that works to disprove Fermat's theorem he would merely create a new mathematics to find it. That man has not yet been able to develop such a mathematics points to man's fallibility. You haven't learned anything in your long life's journey now have you. Logic is no match for God! You see since it took a new form of math for man to prove the equation there is no way to prove that a new form of math could not also be developed to also disprove it.

Vince [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2004, 11:16 PM

It didn't take "new math" to prove it.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:56 PM

No? Wanna bet?

Vince
Old 10-03-2004, 12:23 AM

David,

I will start here:

"....Matters suddenly took a more profound turn when Kummer realized that necessary assumptions about unique factorization of numbers into primes that hold for ordinary integers fail for the generalized integers of an algebraic number field. (An algebraic number field is a finite "extension" of the ordinary rational numbers to include the solutions of specific polynomial equations.) To solve this problem, Kummer invented a new kind of "ideal" numbers where unique factorization still occurs. Several decades of refinement of Kummer's ideals led directly to such ideas of modern algebra as rings, and then to modern algebraic number theory as we know it.

Please note that the word "invented" is profound and distinct and indicative of what was needed to solve Fermat's Theorem. The math of Fermat's time was not powerful enough to solve his conjecture. It's So obvious to me that God interjected as she occaisionally does and sent a clue by his whispering in Kummer's ear to "invent" "new ideal numbers". However, man still needed more help but God wasn't ready to give more clues back then so he just waited to see what will happen. The next clue was... oh I'll wait for your reply.

Vince. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2004, 12:57 AM

Knowledge is not the squeezing of thoughts out of one's brain. If I throw a ball and it displaces the pattern of a parabola the recognizable experience of this movement is in the realm of MAN.

The movement carries it's own experience which can be abstracted in the mathematical construct of Y=X>2. The "garment" of the phenomonon contains the mathematical construct but the experience of the movement will also contain a feeling and will impulse which is also part of the movement. The "knowledge" of this movement works on the human observer and is already contained in the movement. The creation behind the movement is being displayed and the human spirit takes note.

A better understanding of this can be displayed using numbers. The digits 1 and 2 are separate and distinct using our present consciousness but not always so. Take a uncooked slab of bread dough and split it into 2 parts with your hands and experience the number 2 which is not the same as the digit 2. Take one of the parts and split again and experience the number 3, not the digit 3.

Take an apple and cut it in half,cross way, and see nature's number 5(you should see a 5 pointed star(pentagram)).

regards,
carlo
Old 10-03-2004, 12:32 PM

David, I think you're an arrogant bean counter [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Which is OK..I'm an arrogant musician..lol

Integer--invented by Arabs about 5,000 yrs ago?? An antiquated system used to describe and quantify..invented by MAN....
Don't put the cart before the horse. Numbers are a system..they behave as the system dictates...get outside the box and breathe a bit.
Read up on Quantum Mechanics, too.
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] And talk to God..He listens--and He loves you [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2004, 01:22 PM

Human consciousness had progressed(fallen?) to a stronger appreciation of the outside world when at which time came the beginnings of arithmetic. Legend has it that the founding of arithmetic came to expression through Abraham.

regards,
carlo
Old 10-03-2004, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But answer me this: What percentage of religious Christians who know that my question was proven to be impossible by mathmeticians, would still claim that God could do it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I got news for you, David. Most Christians are morons, but so are most atheists.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But answer me this: What percentage of religious Christians who know that my question was proven to be impossible by mathmeticians, would still claim that God could do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

what percentage? I don't know. Should be 100%
clearly the "God of the Christians" could do anything and everything. Now can our feeble little minds understand and comprehend it? I say no.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:23 PM

Default Yes he can

What percentage of religious Christians who know that my question was proven to be impossible by mathmeticians, would still claim that God could do it?

I would say zero percent.

Now I'm no Christian, but the answer is so blindingly obvious that even a professional poker player should get it.

You could ask: Can he create a circle such that the circumference divided by twice the radius does NOT equal Pi?

Even the most hardcore televangelist understands that the laws of nature are laws; But God wrote them. He created a world that is (at least partially) explained by Relativity, the photoelectric effect, and a million other scientific rules.

He created a world that has these intrinsic ratios; Pi is an example, e is another example. As is Phi. These are all rules that are not to be broken, because he set it up that way. Why? Who knows? Who cares?

So God can do all of that stuff. Tomorrow, he could simply decide all masses will repel one another, not attract one another. Gravity will be reversed. But what would the point of that be? By denying the existence of God, you're claiming that the universe is totally random. Chance is what led to you sitting in front of your computer reading this post. That would be as likely as (I've read somewhere) a hurricane hitting a junkyard and assembling the garbage into a working 747 aircraft.

By the way, your four-sided example is patently ridiculous, as a four-sided triangle is called (get this!) a square. They both describe closed shapes, and a 3-sided shape is by definition a triangle. So you're questioning the english language, not God.

God doesn't speak english. (He speaks Hebrew [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])